bootmgr is missing/ startup repair v2/ no operating system found

I have been reading threads, for what seems like forever, but everything that has been suggested to other people doesn't seem to be working for me. Upon startup, I have the "bootmgr is missing" error. When I put the Vista CD in there is no operating system found and I don't know where to look for it in the "Load Drivers" section. When I did the Startup Repair, which I have done countless times, I have received the following report:

Problem Event Name: Startup Repair V2
Problem Signature 01: External Media
Problem Signature:02: 6.0.6000.16386.0.0.0.0
Problem Signature 03: 0
Problem Signature 04: 65537
Problem Signature 05: unknown
Problem Signature 06: MissingBootManager
Problem Signature 07: 0
Problem Signature 08: 2
Problem Signature 09: Wrp Repair
Problem Signature 10: 21
OS Version: 6.0.6000.2.0.0.256.1
Locale ID: 1033

If someone can help me it would be greatly appreciated. I have a novel that I am writing in those files and I STUPIDLY haven't backed up for a while.

I would like to thank both Justin and Terry for responding to my post. The problem that I am having now is that I can't find my documents or any personal files when I tried Ubuntu. I am obviosly doing something wrong. If you can give me some instruction that would be great. Thanks!

no, don't type that in.

open the drive icon that represents your Windows partition and manually browse to that location.

And "C" isn't a part of it. You should be able to access the Windows drive from the desktop or the places menu.

I wanted to thank everyone for trying to help me, unfortunately nothing seems to be working. My documents/personal files seem to be lost. When I click on documents in Ubuntu it says there are 0 files. If anyone has any other suggestions I would really appreciate them. I am not very saavy when it comes to COMMAND PROMPTS so I will need them spelled out for me. Thanks in advance for your help. If it sounds like a lost cause I would appeciate being told that. :smile:

Don't look in "documents" you find under Ubuntu. That's the Linux documents folder. You need to go to the partition with your Vista install, then look for the "Users" folder and drill down from there.

Let us know when you've copied your magnum opus to an external place of safety, and checked that it's all present and correct.
Then you can have a go at fixing Vista.

Back