Bootmgr is missing - windows 7 --*HELP* (please)

TC710

SOLVED-Bootmgr is missing - windows 7 --*HELP* (please)

(UPDATE- after 3 days of doing everything wrong... i finally solved it - please disregard and thank you for all of the forums / support pages allowing me to finally fix! I managed to delete the first partition - the system reserve, then run through automatic repair 3 times and it fixed it.. then it finally came up saying it was configuring updates (perhaps I wasn't the cause of this problem after all) and it now boots fine. I am sure having the system reserve might be a better cooler way long term, but I am content on it just working. I am running a/v again and making an image next... learned my lesson! thanks again for the support pages b/c without them I would not be succesful! thx, tom)

I have probably done everything possible EXCEPT the right thing. I believe I managed to mess up boot etc when I pulled this drive to act as slave on another machine to copy files etc... Unfortunately, I don't have a backup from before I messed up (I have since made a clone of drive so that I can mess with this and be able to revert / still have data if I accidentally slick it. (yeah I know... my fault) ... The drive used to be stuck at blinking cursor, but after attempts to fix below I have moved on to "Bootmgr is missing error" ... I am not sure that this is better or worse, just broken. ... While I CAN build a new windows install, put all programs, and copy data... I am VERY hopeful that I can avoid all this and merely boot to the previously fantastic win7 installation.
I have full win7 disk and was using that to attempt windows recovery.

I have a desktop with 1 tb hd and technically 3 partitions, but really only using 1 as C. (using Minitool Partion Wizard ISO to view) The first partition (now) is 100.00 mb logical with only 4mb used for sys vol info but nothing else (This at one point I believe was listed as system reserve and may have had my boot info... I have since deleted and rebuilt partition when I was attempting to have boot info rebuilt on C: (second partition). The second partition is C: and it holds my windows dir. It is 931 GB with 44 gb free. I have tried to make this hold the boot info by rebuilding mbr, bootfix, etc, etc etc including
Ran AVG & Kapersky a/v full on it as external drive and using livecd - NO infections at all.
Full Surface scan - (using Minitool Iso - no problems)

Allowed the automatic repair to run > 3 times, as per (Suggestion 1): Recovering the Windows Bootloader from the DVD - EasyBCD - NeoSmart Technologies Wiki with all commands returning successful where applicable
Result: No change, continued into missing bootmgr

Executed a manual repair of the windows bootloader, as per (Suggestion 2): Recovering the Windows Bootloader from the DVD - EasyBCD - NeoSmart Technologies Wiki with all commands returning successful where applicable
Result: No change, continued into missing bootmgr

Executed a 'Nuclear Holocaust' to do a full manual rebuilt of the bootload, as per (Suggestion 3): Recovering the Windows Bootloader from the DVD - EasyBCD - NeoSmart Technologies Wiki with all commands returning successful where applicable

The 3rd partition is 10.00mb and is primary hidden with 10mb used (no idea why / how I have this and mini tool doesn't show anything there when explored) - just leaving this...

Please let me know if you have a suggestion... I believe it is better to try to have the boot info on the c drive (no real reason), but am not at all sure / just want it to work.

Using minitool I have attempted to fixmbr (says ok, but no help)
I attempt to "Set Windows Boot Partition" to the C: (second partition) it responds with "Failed to find windows directory" even though using explore tool clearly has directory and contents.

Please let me know if there are any steps I can take...

Still hopeful,
tom

Last edited:
When you removed the "System Reserved" partition (W7's default boot partition), did you set W7 OS partition "active" before attempting to repair the loss of the boot files ?

When you removed the "System Reserved" partition (W7's default boot partition), did you set W7 OS partition "active" before attempting to repair the loss of the boot files ?

Terry-
thanks for the reply... yes actually the c partition was active, but things didn't work... I am pretty sure that I was messing up pointing the first partition boot to the first partition for the OS... Or something equally as unproductive. NOW, thankfully I got everything working (enough). I don't have the system reserved partition any longer, but I am only using 1 OS / partition anyway... Thanks again for all of your helpful forum / support pages / product. I will be looking into adding additional boot choices in the future and can't imagine doing it without easybcd

Back