"BOOTMGR is missing"

Xposure

Like the title indicates, this is the message I got when trying to start my computer. Before this, I was trying to reset it back to system setting, but I can't get it to work. I tried with a Windows Recovery CD, but something went wrong.
2:19 into the video (the one at the bottom of the thread), he gets "Microsoft Windows Vista" below "Operating System". I do not. I don't get a single option. I tried the option that let me donwload Windows again, but it didn't work either. I've also tried a command into "Command Prompt":
bootrec /rebuildbcd
A few others as well:
bcdedit /export C:\BCD_Backup
ren c:\boot\bcd bcd.old
bootrec /rebuildbcd
And nothing seems to be working. I really need help! A friend of mine sais there might be something wrong with my harddrive, but I'd like your help first.
Quick answers are very much appreciated!
[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWf1orrx8Ok

[/URL]

"BOOTMGR is missing" (Special problem, not ordinary)

God damnit, I wrote a long thread, and then it got deleted... I'll try to keep it short.
I tried to reset my computer to factory default, something went wrong, now I get "BOOTMGR is missing" when I try to start. I got a Windows Recovery CD, but it doesn't seem to work.
In the video at the bottom at 2:19, I do not get the "Microsoft Windows Vista" he gets, I don't get squat.
I tried typing a few commands into "Command Prompt" as well. Such as:
bootrec /rebuildbcd
(as well as)
  1. bcdedit /export C:\BCD_Backup
  1. ren c:\boot\bcd bcd.old
    1. bootrec /rebuildbcd
The answers above got a little messy, but I hope it's understandable. Anyhow, answers, preferably quick answers, are greatly appreciated! My friend it might be something wrong with my harddrive, but I'd like to check h ere first. By the way, I'm using a HP Pavilion 6***. And, if it was not clear enough, I use Windows Vista. Below is the video I mentioned:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWf1orrx8Ok

Your posts were put into moderation because of the link, it's automatic, sorry about that. I reinstated it and someone will deal with that.

Last edited:
Sadly, the MS repair disk can be prevented from booting by the same HDD problem that is preventing a normal boot.
Using a free bootable partition manager can get you to an environment where you can run a chkdsk to try fixing any bad blocks on your HDD.
After that try booting the repair disk again and see if that gets as far as the "startup repair"

Your posts were put into moderation because of the link, it's automatic, sorry about that. I reinstated it and someone will deal with that.
My bad, I didn't see that I had to wait for it to show up.
@Terry60, thanks a lot! :grinning: I'll give it a go.

Addendum:

Sadly, the MS repair disk can be prevented from booting by the same HDD problem that is preventing a normal boot.
Using a free bootable partition manager can get you to an environment where you can run a chkdsk to try fixing any bad blocks on your HDD.
After that try booting the repair disk again and see if that gets as far as the "startup repair"
Wait, where do I run a chkdsk?

Last edited:
It doesn't seem to work. All the options under "Dynamic Disk" are greyed out.
I tried putting a label on them, but it didn't do anything. There is also a "Change letter" option, but that is greyed out as well...

I can tell you what I can see on my HDD anyway. It sais "Disk 1" in bold letters, and below there are two partitions: *: and *:RECOVERY
*: contains very little it seems, nothing worth mentioning as far as I know.
*:RECOVERY, on the other hand, contains a lot. Even "bootmgr" appears to be there.

Please note that I already have runned "Partition Recovery".

Last edited:
Options are greyed if you're on unallocated space. Did you highlight the partition with the problem ?

Not really.
What I've already described should help if anything can, but you're describing a situation in which the partition manager seems to be implying that there both is, and is not a filesystem present to check.
Can you get a screenshot in any way ?
You might also want to consider beginning to rescue your user data in the anticipation of not being able to fix this without a factory reset
Use Ubuntu Live CD to Backup Files from Your Dead Windows Computer - How-To Geek

Not really.
What I've already described should help if anything can, but you're describing a situation in which the partition manager seems to be implying that there both is, and is not a filesystem present to check.
Can you get a screenshot in any way ?
You might also want to consider beginning to rescue your user data in the anticipation of not being able to fix this without a factory reset
Use Ubuntu Live CD to Backup Files from Your Dead Windows Computer - How-To Geek
Here's a few pics I took with my phone:
Foto0663.jpg
Foto0664.jpg
Foto0665.jpg

Also, I do not have any data to save. I have already done a factory reset, that's when the problems occured (I believe I got an Error Code 1002 or something at the end of the reset).

Last edited:
Well your factory reset doesn't appear to have done anything, judging by the fact that the OS partition is 99% empty, so you need to concentrate on getting that to complete.
No point messing about with the repair disk when there's no OS there to repair the boot for.

Well your factory reset doesn't appear to have done anything, judging by the fact that the OS partition is 99% empty, so you need to concentrate on getting that to complete.
No point messing about with the repair disk when there's no OS there to repair the boot for.
What do I do, then? I've tried the factory reset several times, and the same thing keeps happening. I don't know what to do. Would buying a new OS (like a new version of Windows 7) work?

You can run the surface check from the partition manager to determine whether your HDD is OK, then try tech support from your OEM.
If they can't get the on-disk reset to work for you, they should be able to supply portable media to do the job for less than it would cost you to buy a new W7 licence.

You can run the surface check from the partition manager to determine whether your HDD is OK, then try tech support from your OEM.
If they can't get the on-disk reset to work for you, they should be able to supply portable media to do the job for less than it would cost you to buy a new W7 licence.
I ran the surface check earlier, and couldn't find anything wrong. I only checked the Recovery one, though. Anyhow, I took the computer to the place where I bought it, they said they'd check it out. The guy I talked to said there was probably a problem with my HDD, which is what pretty much what everyone says. He said that if there was, they'd fix it for free as well, so I guess it'll be sorted.

Back