BOOTMGR missing, have tried everything!

hsmommaof4

I recently purchased an used laptop from my mom for my children to use for school. The day I got it int he mail I booted it up and everything worked fine, so I decided to do a factory reset on it (Its a Toshiba Satellite running Win7 32-bit). halfway through it encountered an error and I have been tinkering with it ever since. Everytime I start it it comes up and says "BOOTMGR is missing, press ctrl+alt+del to restart. I dont have a recovery disk, but I made one using an ISO file I found online and have tried booting from it, but no windows installation is found. I have tried several methods that I found online, including on this forum, using the command prompt to no avail. I did order a recovery disk from Toshiba over 2 weeks ago and I suspect it was lost int he mail because it never arrived. My kids start school in a few days and I would really like to get this up and running. Also, I don't have a win7 product key because the sticker on the bottom is unreadable (why dont they laminate those tags?!) HELP!!

If you don't have the Windows product key, your only hope is to contact Toshiba and hope to talk to someone who can understand your plight and help you out.

If they send my recovery CD, I shouldnt need the key though - right? Ugh, I just had a feeling this wasn't going to be as easy as I had hoped. I am prepared to buy a new product key if absolutely necessary but I am trying to avoid it. This laptop isnt the greatest to begin with and it's almost 2 years old already. I've already paid $100 for it plus the $45 I dropped for the recovery cd I NEVER received. If that CD doesnt come, looks like I am going to have to take it to someone.

Question: Even if I buy a new windows install, with the bootmgr missing, will I even be able to install a new OS?

If the $45 recovery CDs are from Toshiba, then the CD key should not be necessary.
And, yes, a new Windows install will fix the bootmgr error.

Back