"BootMgr not found - press any key to restart"

kirkers

After setting up Ubuntu 11.10 to dual-boot with Win7 Pro on an ASUS EEE 1000HE netbook, and then following the directions for setting up EasyBCD to be the first bootloader (with GRUB2 coming 2nd), I always get the message "BootMgr not found. Press any key to restart"

But when I press a key, up comes the BCD configured by EasyBCD!

If I choose Linux, GRUB2 comes up next, with an option to load Windows as well as various sorts of Ubuntu 11.10.

Both multi-booters seem to work, but there is one major problem I have spotted:

Hibernation no longer works in Win7 -- neither by software menu selection or use of the power button which I have traditionally set for hibernation. That is a major loss for me.

My instincts say the "BootMgr not found" error and the loss of hibernation are linked somehow. I did have to use bcdedit to create a new BSD after the ubuntu install, because EasyBCD could not find the old one and was completely grayed out until I created a (blank) BCD file and had EasyBCD open and edit it. I probably missed a trick not backing up my old EasyBCD config. so I could restore it without creating a new BCD (or maybe that would not have made the difference?)

Is there any way to get Hibernation back without causing too much trouble to the boot loaders?

It sounds like there's something odd happening with your active partition. Can you provide a screenshot of disk management?
And my spidey sense agrees, hibernation and this error are very much likely linked.

It sounds like there's something odd happening with your active partition. Can you provide a screenshot of disk management?
And my spidey sense agrees, hibernation and this error are very much likely linked.

Thank you for responding, Director al-Qudsi!

Sorry for the long delay in responding -- had to deal with a whole different computer problem, but now I'm back!

Linux Ubuntu + Win7 Pro dual boot - disk partition snapshot.jpg

Here's the snapshot you asked for, with some editorial markup.

I'm wondering if I should run Windows RE from a Win7 32-bit setup DVD and see what happens.

Or perhaps use Bootrec.exe command line to rebuild the BCD, effectively from scratch.

I will wait until I get an opinion from the Director.

Salaam A

Now Win7 is okay, and Ubuntu does not hibernate properly!

Well, I didn't think I did anything, but somehow simply inserting the 32-bit Win7 setup DVD into a USB Blu-Ray external drive attached to my ASUS EEE 1000HE while logged into the Win7 partition must have done >>something<<.

When I rebooted fresh into Win7, there was a task bar message balloon reporting that some sort of BCD repair had been performed.

Now, there is no longer any error message "BootMgr not found - press any key to restart" on boot-up.

When Windows 7 is selected, it behaves completely normally, as far as I can tell. Hibernation behaves normally. There is no option offered to boot into Ubuntu.

Now, the problem is with Ubuntu(!) When asked to hibernate, it closes down, but on restart the normal boot menu appears. When Ubuntu is selected, it starts from the beginning. It does not resume from the point of hibernation.

Any ideas, Director al-Qudsi?

A Salaam

Final thoughts

Upon further investigation of Linux/Ubuntu, it seems clear that hibernation with dual-boot Windows/Unix is a very risky and unstable proposition. If you use Linux/Ubuntu while Windows is hibernated and save anything to a shared partition, when Windows wakes up it will likely wipe out any and all files or changes to files made in Linux/Ubuntu. So, hibernation is risky unless you never use Linux/Ubuntu before waking up Windows.

As for Ubuntu, despite my best efforts to follow directions provided in the Ubuntu community, I never got hibernation to work correctly. The effort was worth it, however, because something about the dual-boot was corrupting the swap partition needed for memory management, necessitating the creation of a swap file similar to the Windows page file. Without this, things were not working very well in my little netbook!

For anyone interested: the best resource I found for creating a swap file in Ubuntu is "Four-step Process to Add Swap File", found in the following URL:
SwapFaq - Community Ubuntu Documentation

So, I have the ability to hibernate or sleep Windows, and I can suspend (sleep) Ubuntu -- not too shabby a combination, really. I'm declaring victory and going home.

Thanks for your help!

Back