BOOTMGR NOT FOUND

Hi all, i have a toshiba satellite pro with vista 32 bit home premium. I cant boot up as BOOTMGR is not found. I have a vista installation disc and i downloaded your recovery disc but i cant persuade the laptop to boot from cd. CD is first choice for boot in bios but nothing loads. Although the cd drive does spin. F8 doesnt have any effect so i cant get the safe mode option or repair. All i can get is the BootMgr not found message. This is pretty hopeless huh?

File may be named NTLDR - i reading alot of forums on my problem and that is what i have seen......Is people being told to rename bootmgr as NTLDR - thats all i know , Prolly wont help you much sry
Weasel is not a pro! just trying to help

It maybe reaading the recovery disk initially and coming up with the error because its on the disk, have you got another machine you could explore the disc on? that may be one way of going about checking that the file name is right

Hey good thinking Weasel i will go try that now :smile:

Addendum:

Does anyone else think that renaming the file on the recovery disc will solve the problem? The tool to open torrent files is 30 dollars so im reluctant to buy it if its not going to help

Last edited:
whoa dont pay!!!!!
There is definately a way to change the file name and ......what file ext. is the torrent?????
and have you tried it through USB yet ?
I am kinda assuming you made the disk from the install on the comp youre trying to recover?
If not you could copy the disk info to your other computer, change file name and rerun it back to disk/USB

Last edited:
.torrent?

Addendum:

USB stopped working before the the big crash

Addendum:

no i got the reinstallation disc from shop recently, so yes i can try that if my desktop with xp can cope with vista

Addendum:

no that didnt work, xp sees a blank disc

Last edited:
Do you get a "Press any key to boot...." message before you get to bootmgr is missing? Press a key when you do see this message to boot from the disc rather than the hard drive. Follow these instructions to recover the Vista bootloader.

Ok, I've had this problem on some computers before. Does your computer happen to have a one time boot menu? Usually thats F12, F11, F10, etc. where you can choose the device from a menu that you want to boot from.

Back