Bootmgr problem!

Cuchillo

Hi, I'm a new boy and straight away I'll tell you I know very little about computers which is why I need your help...please be patient.

I have an Acer Aspire M7200 desktop PC, I bought it about 18 months ago. It came preloaded with everything including Vista Home Premium 64 Bit. There were no discs and I had to create Recovery Discs straight away (set of 3) which I did.

Lately the PC wasn't running too good so I decided to restore the hard drive using the recovery discs, I put the first one in but after completing 11% it stopped and after a few mins restarted itself but stopped again at 11% complete.

I searched the Internet and found advice on using 'alt & F10' at startup, all I got was Bootmgr is missing.

I found this site and followed advice for creating a Vista Repair disc, still the Bootmgr problem.

I followed the instructions for manually creating the boot loader including the Nuclear Holocaust instructions to the letter, still the missing Bootmgr.

One thing, where the instructions say 'change x: to the letter of your CD drive, it won't accept it (it's E but just in case I tried every other letter as well.

Your help would be gratefully appreciated.

Terry60

Knows where his towel is.
Staff member
Have you got your BIOS set to boot CD before HDD ?
If not, it might explain why your factory reset kept failing at the same point ( possibly, it needs to reboot the CD and instead finds itself trying to boot an incomplete HDD instead)
Acer Alt/F10 also needs a BIOS option set. From memory it's something like "enable D2D".

Cuchillo

Hi Terry, thanks for replying. Yes I set the bios to boot from cd but I didn't know about the enable D2D, I'll have a look at that this morning.

spoonbender

Cuchillo,

Were you able to fix the problem by following Terry's advice? I think the first problem is the fact that you are using an Acer, but all joking aside I think that correction the order to have the CD boot first should get the job done, am I right Terry?

mqudsi

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
How to reverse the order of what?