BSOD everytime XP boots

palatka

Ok, so I'm attempting to dual boot XP and 7 with the Win 7 OS loaded first. Everything was going smoothly with the XP install to a second partition of the HD, until I accidently removed 7's boot files and with that the only boot files on the machine. Total disaster. However, recovered the Win 7 OS (working fine now) and discovered that XP was still installed on the second partition of the HD.

So, I've got EasyBCD 2.1 installed on 7 and created an entry for XP. Additionally, I've added ntldr and NTDETECT to the root path and created a BOOT.INI file from scratch. However, Win XP will not load but rather give me the ol' BSOD for approx. 2 seconds and reboot and then ask whether to boot XP or 7. Any thoughts? I'm a dual boot amateur, so try and go easy on me. Thanks!

Bootloader:
Default: Windows 7
Timeout: 30 seconds
EasyBCD Boot Device: C:\

Entry #1
Name: Windows 7
BCD ID: {current}
Drive: C:\
Bootloader Path: \Windows\system32\winload.exe

Entry #2
Name: Windows XP
BCD ID: {5e28e9cc-4159-11e0-b4f3-6c626d2a1a9c}
Drive: C:\
Bootloader Path: \NST\ntldr

Yeah, I thought that was the thing to do as well. However, when I boot from my XP install disk, it loads most of the drivers, etc... but before asking for the product key and the actual install phase, it just gives me the BSOD again. Should I uninstall/erase whats on the second partition and start clean?

Select XP from the boot menu, then immediately start tapping F8.
When in the XP extended boot menu, select the "no automatic restart on error" option.
The BSOD will then give you time to note the stop code.
Search on the error code.

(No point trying to fix the boot. You're getting past that point.)

Thanks for the help Pillars and Terry.

Terry, the error code I get is STOP: 0x0000007B (0xBACCF524...)

MS has a page on advanced troubleshooting for the 0x0000007B code which is mostly about device driver issues. However, upon further investigation, the guide for installing a mass storage device driver wants me to use F6 during the XP setup process and run something from a floppy (not happening). The advice I'm reading from is found here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/324103#3

Does the 0xBACCF524 point me in a specific direction? Any other good ideas?

Thanks again for the help!

Addendum:

Ok, some good news, more bad news.

Well, I was able to pass the BSOD when reinstalling/upgrading Windows XP. Managed to install XP once again and was on a roll. Installed MS .NET 2.0 Frameworl. installed Easy BCD v.2.0 and got to work. Installed the Win 7 Bootloader/Wrote MBR and then tried to add new entry for Win XP. I got the "BCD execution error - system could not allocate required space in registering log".

Here's where things went wrong the last time, so I went to "BCD backup/repair" and hit the "Reset BCD Config". It completely wiped out the bootloader - instead of what I needed it to do. So, I've tried all of the options in "Recovering the Vista Bootloader w/ EasyBCD" page ( http://neosmart.net/wiki/display/EBCD/Recovering+the+Vista+Bootloader+with+EasyBCD ).

None of them work.

I can't add a new entry - either XP or Win 7 - i get the same "BCD execution error - system could not allocate required space". I can't use the "Re-create/repair boot files" option under BCD Backup/Repair because it says it's only available for Win 7/Vista/Win 2k8. So, I can't restart, can't shut down.

On a scale from 1-10 (10 being Up A Creek Without a Paddle), how screwed am I? Can anyone help?

Additionally the Bootloader now looks like this:

0 entries listed in the bootloader

Default:
Timeout: 0 Seconds
EasyBCD Boot Device: C:\

------------------------------------------
Need some BIG help on this one.

Addendum:

Entering the Detailed Display (Debug Mode) - the bootloader looks like this:

Windows Memory Tester
-----------------
identifier {b2721d73-1db4-4c62-bf78-c548a880142d}
device boot
path \Boot\memtest.exe
description Windows Memory Diagnostic
locale en-US
inherit {7ea2e1ac-2e61-4728-4728-aaa3-896d9d0a9f0e}
badmemoryaccess Yes

Clear anything up for anyone?

Also, I have a Win7 recovery disc, but really really hoping I don't have to use it here, ala this page, http://neosmart.net/forums/showthread.php?t=7362 .

BIG Thanks will be in order to anyone who can help.

Last edited:
Thanks, Terry, that did indeed do the trick. There's something a little interesting in my case (perhaps, I don't know, this may happen to everyone dual booting XP/7). First off, things work very well now, I can boot both 7 and XP consistently.

However, in order to boot into XP, I need to enter the BIOS and disable the AHCI Mode. Without disabling AHCI, XP will NOT boot but rather give me the BSOD on startup. This caveat also works both ways, I cannot boot Win 7 without having re-enabled the AHCI Mode settings or Win 7 will show me the BSOD before startup.

Is this common? Is there a way to automatically toggle between AHCI Mode Off/On when rebooting? The reason I ask is, that iReboot program is actually pretty nifty and would like to simply boot into the other operating system without changing the BIOS setting.

Thanks again, Terry, I went from the valley of dispair to elation within minutes of booting into both OS.

Back