[Bug] HnS Compatibility with Windows 7

CorrsFan

I only have Windows 7 and XP Pro installed, but lose my recovery points in Win7 every time I boot into XP Pro (hd0,1), so I tried using NeoGrub to hide my Win7 partition (hd0,3), but I always get the 0xc000000f error on /NST/NeoGrub.mbr. I tried repairing every way imaginable with EasyBCD and the Win7 boot disk (sans command line), but nothing ever worked.

I finally found that VistaHnS has replaced NeoGrub as the preferred method for hiding Vista (7) partitions, however, when I try to install it, it tells me that Vista cannot be found anywhere on this computer (which is true) and terminates the UI. I tried running the UI in Vista compatability mode, to no avail.

It's not that I "NEED" to boot regularly into XP, as I'm trying to give Win7 a thorough workout, but I do ocasionally need something from there, so I need to be able to boot XP w/o messing up my Win7 install.

Are there any plans to release a new version of VistaHnS that recognizes Windows 7 any time soon?

Thanks

PCEye, in the HnS thread, reports that it works in compatibility mode.
I'm using it to Hide W7, but that is in a triple boot with Vista.
If W7 won't reinstall it in compatibilty mode for you, like it did for PCeye; you can always try the XP registry zap.
HnS was written for users (like me) for whom the zap was ineffective, but for a lot of users (like Justin (kairo....)) it works fine.

(Does CorrsFan really mean AndreaFan ?)

Thanks for the reply Terry. Do you have a link to PCEye's discussion of it installing on Win7 via Compatability mode? I checked thread "Vista Hide 'n Seek BETA", but I didn't see anything about installing it on Windows 7 w/o Vista already installed on the machine somewhere.

I retried setting UI.exe to Vista compatability, but I still get the popup saying "Vista not detected".

I guess I could try the registry tweak as well, although XP is not "mounting" my Win7 partition with a drive letter, so I'm not exactly sure what to use in the ValueName for the mount point.

Maybe PCEye will see this thread and create a new version of HnS that recognizes Win7 as a Vista partition?

User Account Control may be causing these issues. Re-try again right-clicking on HnS's executible and select "Run as Administrator".

If the program crashes when Windows is in a good mood, it should give you a prompt asking about how things went with the installation. Clicking the "Re-install with Recommended Settings" may help in some cases. You can also right-click on HnS and go to properties -> Compatibility tab and change the operating mode for the application there as well.

Thanks for replying Justin. I've actually checked the little box on the Compatibility tab that says "Run as Administrator", as well as set the compatibility to Vista. It's not that it isn't running, it seems to be running, it's that it can't find the required VISTA partition anywhere on the system, and since Windows 7 does not qualify as Vista, it simply errors out with an error window, saying:

Vista not detected!
Vista HnS could not locate Windows Vista anywhere on this machine, and will exit now. Windows Vista is required for Vista HnS to work. If you're trying to uninstall Vista HnS, please boot into Vista and try again.

You have to lie to HnS and tell it that the W7 partition is "Vista" (one click) and the XP partition is "XP" (2 clicks)
Because it's called Vista Hide 'n Seek, and was written to hide Vista from XP, it uses the labels "Vista" and "XP", but what they really mean is "partition to be hidden" and "partition to hide it from" respectively.
I suspect you didn't label any of your partitions as "Vista", hence the message.

Maybe PCEye will see this thread and create a new version of HnS that recognizes Win7 as a Vista partition?

PCEye didn't create the HnS software...:wink: The owner of this site, "Computer Guru", did. :smile:

-Coolname007

Addendum:

Thanks for the reply Terry. Do you have a link to PCEye's discussion of it installing on Win7 via Compatability mode? I checked thread "Vista Hide 'n Seek BETA", but I didn't see anything about installing it on Windows 7 w/o Vista already installed on the machine somewhere.

Here it is:

[Download] Vista Hide 'n Seek BETA - Page 31 - The NeoSmart Forums

-Coolname007

Last edited:
Hi,

I think I know what the problem CorrsFan is having is.... it's nothing to do with labeling of partitions rather how HnS does its safety checks.

Let me get back to you all on this :smile:

I agree, it's not the name, but I tried it anyway

I didn't think naming my Win7 partition "Vista" would have any affect, but I did it anyway.....no dice. Thanks CGuru for looking into it. BTW, I "thought" maybe that if I disabled Recovery Points for all my drives in Win XP Pro that it would keep it from destroying my valid Win7 Restore Points, but alas, M$ did such a nice job of coding, that even if you have disabled Restore Points altogether in XP, it still feels the need to go out and look for them anyway. No worries. I'm using Win7 primarily now anyway, so I'll just hold tight for a answer from the gurus.

Nope. Turned on or off of restore services in XP still cause the problems. One of the first workarounds many of us here tried before HnS was released. You should leave it turned on for XP in case you have problems with it.

Did you try the XP registry zap linked in a previous post ?
It worked for Justin, not for me. (nobody seems to know exactly what the criteria for success are, but you might be one of the lucky ones)

My Windows 7 partition doesn't mount with a drive letter in XP, so I don't think I can do the registry zap (not sure why, as it's not a hidden partition, it just doesn't get a letter assigned to it). I've never used the Restore Points in 6 years of using XP, as I usually disable it anyway. I don't plan on booting into it very often, so I'll just remember to create a restore point in Win7 every so often.

Thanks for the replies, guys.

Go to disk management and give it a letter. Than follow the instructions using that letter. After it is done, refrain from removing the letter from that volume.

Back