Bug with 1.61 build 21279

I installed EasyBCD 1.61 and set up the dual boot menu.lst file as described on your site and it worked like a charm the first time. After rebooting back into Vista I tried to reopen EasyBCD and got an error message like one posted here earlier and my only solution is to uninstall and reinstall every time I want to open the program. Also now when I try to boot into XP it hides a partition on another hard drive. Instead of hiding the second partition of the second drive it hides the second partition of the first drive. I am eagerly awaiting the release of an updated version.

Hello Mr. Whiskers, and welcome to NeoSmart Technologies.

Can you please post your menu.lst here so we can see what's happening in greater detail?

I'd gander a guess, and say that your Vista drive is also your boot drive?

Menu.lst

First off my boot drive is a sata drive I have partitioned with XP on the first partition and Vista on the second partition. Then I have a pata drive with two partitions just for storage. Because windows see the pata drive as the first drive and sata drive as the second I had to make some changes to the menu.lst, here is my version:

Code:
# NeoSmart NeoGrub Bootloader Configuration File
#
# This is the NeoGrub menu.lst file, and should be located at C:\menu.lst
# Please see the EasyBCD Documentation for information on how to create/modify entries
# [url]http://neosmart.net/wiki/display/EBCD[/url]

default 1
timeout 10

title Boot XP - Hide Vista
hide (hd1,1)            # SET THIS TO THE VISTA DRIVE
# Optionally repeat the above entry for all the Vista drives
chainloader (hd1,0)/ntldr    # SET THIS TO THE BOOT PARTITION
boot

# Optional section
#  If you include this section, you will see a second bootloader menu!
title Boot XP - Unhide Vista
unhide (hd1,1)            # SET THIS TO THE VISTA DRIVE
# Optionally repeat the above entry for all the Vista drives
chainloader (hd1,0)/ntldr    # SET THIS TO THE BOOT PARTITION
boot

I changed the default because I thought it was referring to the boot drive, was I correct in that thinking?

Last edited by a moderator:
OK, you've lost me :smile:

The drive Windows sees as the first drive should also be your boot drive. Is that not the case?

Normally windows puts the boot info on the first drive it sees, but I disconnected the regular hard drive so all the boot info was on the same drive as the windows files, then I reconnected the regular ide hdd so I could change it out later as I so choose. This way I don't have to keep these two hard drives together to get the system to work.
I really don't like the way serial hdds work with windows and I haven't noticed much, if any performance boost, so I may not use them in the future if I want to use a regular IDE hdd. Windows always sees the sata drive as the second drive when there is a regular ide hdd present as well.

I'm sorry if I didn't explain this very well, it's still early.

I finally got it to work because I figured that neogrub saw the boot drive as the first drive no matter what windows sees so I told neogrub to hide 0,1 and all is well.
The bug however is still the fact that once installed, run and exited, you can not run EasyBCD again because it errors out. To get EasyBCD to run again you have to uninstall and reinstall to get it to open without an error. My problem however is fixed, so I just won't open EasyBCD again until it gets updated.

I think this is related to another bug that's being fixed now, I'll post back when a new build is updated.

Glad you got it to work for now, anyway.

Back