[By Design] Can not add Ubuntu and Mac OSX to vista BCD at the same time

zmalex

Hi

So I have a dual boot system Vista + Ubuntu and want to make it tripple boot. I install Mac OS X and try to add it to boot alternatives using EasyBCD beta build 59.

When adding Mac OS X I get:
"EasyBCD's EFI support for OS X requires the use of the NeoGrub module. It looks like NeoGrub is already installed, so EasyBCD can't continue.

To add an EFI OS X entry please manually uninstall NeoGrub and try again."

So I do just that. Remove NeoGrub, which removes Ubuntu entry also. Then I add OS X. No problem. I now add Ubuntu and get:

"EasyBCD's Auto-GRUB feature requires the use of the NeoGrub module.
It looks like NeoGrub is already installed, so EasyBCD can not continue.

To add an Linux entry please install GRUB to the bootsector or uninstall NeoGrub and try again."

Funny :smile:

Should I really install GRUB instead?

Please post the contents of the NeoGrub menu.lst located at /NST/menu.lst. :wink: It sounds like you're going to have to manually add an entry to boot Ubuntu in your NST menu.lst. :smile:

-Coolname007

Last edited:
At /NST/menu.lst of your Windows partition...just like I said in my last post. :brows:

Cheers,

Jake

EDIT: Actually, it may be on your EISA partition, since it is "system", now that I think about it...so check there instead.

Last edited:
# NeoSmart NeoGrub Bootloader Configuration File
#
# This is the NeoGrub configuration file, and should be located at C:\NST\menu.lst
# Please see the EasyBCD Documentation for information on how to create/modify entries:
# EasyBCD Documentation Home - NeoSmart Technologies Wiki

find --set-root --ignore-floppies /boot/grub/menu.lst
configfile /boot/grub/menu.lst

# All your boot are belong to NeoSmart!

Ok, so I take it you've added a Linux entry last...:wink: Alright, so please remove NeoGrub again, and then add an entry for OS X, and then post the menu.lst again (the new one).

-Coolname007

Mac OS X version:

#
# This is the NeoGrub configuration file, and should be located at C:\NST\menu.lst
# Please see the EasyBCD Documentation for information on how to create/modify entries:

find --set-root --ignore-floppies /NST/nst_mac.efi
kernel /NST/nst_mac.efi
boot

Addendum:

So now I just concat those?

Addendum:

Yeah right. How naive can one be? :smile: That didn't work the slightest.

Last edited:
Ok, so your new menu.lst needs to look something like this:

#

default 0
timeout 10

#This is our first entry, and is used to boot Mac OS X
title Mac OS X
kernel /NST/nst_mac.efi

#This is our second entry, and is used to boot Ubuntu Linux
title Ubuntu Linux
root (hd0,0) #Load Ubuntu from the 1st harddrive's 1st partition.
chainloader +1

That should work just fine, I believe. :wink: Just copy and paste over the current text in the menu.lst.

Cheers,

Jake

Last edited:
Code:
timeout 5
default 0

title Mac
kernel /NST/nst_mac.efi 
boot

title Ubuntu
find --set-root --ignore-floppies /boot/grub/menu.lst 
configfile /boot/grub/menu.lst

Sorry, I didn't realize Guru was also going to post one...:S So, I guess go with the one he posted, though I believe mine would have worked as well. The difference is his searches all partitions for /boot/grub/menu.lst, while mine tells it specifically where its located (i.e. (hd0,0), or sda1). But the advantage with his is even if you happen to change the location of the Ubuntu partition in the partition table, it will still be able to find the menu.lst, and use it to load Ubuntu. :wink: So go with his instead.

-Coolname007

How do I apply the changes once I edited menu.lst? EasyBCD still shows old configuration even though menu.lst has changed.

My bootloader looks like:

There are a total of 2 entries listed in the bootloader.

Default: Windows Vista (TM) Business
Timeout: 5 seconds.
EasyBCD Boot Device: C:\

Entry #1
Name: Windows Vista (TM) Business
BCD ID: {current}
Drive: C:\
Bootloader Path: \Windows\system32\winload.exe

Entry #2
Name: Ubuntu 8.10 x64
BCD ID: {9eed6844-0d3c-11de-a25c-c7725880f703}
Drive: C:\
Bootloader Path: \NST\NeoGrub.mbr

There is no mentioning of Mac OS X or menu.lst. How can I make bootloader use the menu.lst entries?

Addendum:

So I guess I rename the entry from Ubuntu to something else.

Last edited:
Simple. :smile: Reboot, and you should see a boot entry in your Vista boot menu called "NeoGrub Bootloader". Select that, and you will get to a new menu with 2 entries...one for OS X, and the other for Ubuntu. :wink:

-Coolname007

EDIT: And it looks like you never deleted that Ubuntu entry you created earlier under the Linux tab, with that box checked...

Last edited:
Back