Can EasyBCD be used to dual-boot Windows 7 and Windows 8 (Release version)?

wfmetcalf

Hello everyone,

I am trying to create a HDD on my laptop with both Windows 7 and Windows 8 (release version), and I'm running into a variety problems.

1) When I create an (empty) partition using Control Panel | Administrative Tools | Computer Management tool in Windows 7/8, the partition is almost always created as logical, even though there are only two primary partitions on the HDD already.

2) Although I can change the new partition to primary using a 3rd party tool, I then run into an error message from the Win 8 installer, saying that it can't install into the HDD because it has to be of GPT type.

3) I tried converting the HDD to GPT type (after painstakingly backing up and deleting all the files), and Windows 8 still wouldn't install because it detected a MBR boot record or partition (I forget which.)

(The same GPT problems occurred when I tried to install Windows 8 Release Preview.)

Before I spend any more time on this project, I would like know if what I'm trying to do is even possible with EasyBCD 2.1.2.

Can anyone help me?

TIA,

Walter

Last edited:
Why are you insisting on GPT? Windows 8 does not have any GPT requirement. GPT is only required if you're trying to install as EFI - make sure you're not booting the CD in EFI mode.

Back