Can EasyBCD make old PC boot from NVMe SSD in a PCIe slot?

glnz

Can EasyBCD be used to make an older PC boot from a NVMe SSD that is inserted into a PCIe slot (using an adapter)?

I ask because I would like to upgrade the drives on two older Dell Optiplex PCs (a 7010 and a 3010) from HDD to NVMe SSD, but I am told by many that such older Optiplexes won't boot from the NVMe SSDs inserted into PCIe slots. Those older Optiplexes don't have M.2 slots -- I would insert each NVMe into an adapter card and plug the card into my available PCIe x4 slots. I am told the Optiplex will see the drive and can use it for data, but it absolutely won't boot off the drive.

One forum has a workaround for using a boot loader (called Clover) to make the PC boot from the NVMe drive in the PCIe slot, but it seems a bit complicated with potential pitfalls. See this thread:
https://www.win-raid.com/t2375f50-G...r-UEFI-BIOS-Clover-EFI-bootloader-method.html

One of my existing PCs dual-boots Win 7 Pro 64-bit and Win 10 Pro 64-bit, and I know and love iReboot and occasionally use EasyBCD only to set repeating reboots to either 7 or 10 (such as when I'm doing updates). I have never used EasyBCD for any other purpose and am a total noob as to what it does.

Is it possible that EasyBCD could do what the above thread about Clover says - can EasyBCD make my PC boot from such an inserted NVMe drive?

Thanks.

EasyBCD is not a boot manager.
It's a Windows .NET application to help you manage the MS bootmgr's BCD store without needing to master the clunky, old fashioned, user unfriendly MS bcdedit command line utility.
If bootmgr won't allow what you want, EasyBCD can't change that.

Terry - thanks for your post.

I have been trying to figure out HOW to install Clover onto a USB stick and then play with it, but its Github source pages are completely baffling to me. And a prior install app from a website in .ru isn't available any more.

Might you be able to point me to a thread that shows me what to download from Github and how then to "run" it to install Clover onto a USB stick?

Back