can i disable startup repair?

nedonedo

Hi all. Working on a friends HP DV6247CL laptop.

(I think) it lost power during update and got the Black screen of death, with movable cursor.

Booted with boot logging, saw it stop after crcdisk.sys (in ntbtlog.txt), used bitdefender cd to remove viruses, tried my startup repair and all with no luck.

I found a thread that pointed to your recovery disk, and after making a copy of all the *.sys files on my DV64xx laptop, I renamed the .sys files in the offending sytem and started your recovery disk.

Now the weird part.

Your recovery disk fixed most of the system. Only two files, wmilib.sys and wmiacpi.sys. I copied these from my system and now I get two results.

One, Startup repair says it cannot fix vista, and the data is as follows.

problem event name: startup repair v2
problem signature 01: external media
problem signature 02: 6.0.6000.16386.6.0.6001.18000
problem signature 03: 4
problem signature 04: 393223/458760/524297/589834/917519 (changes when i retry)
problem signature 05: nobootfailure
problem signature 06: nobootfailure
problem signature 07: 0
problem signature 08: 0
problem signature 09: unknown
problem signature 10: 1168
OS version: 6.0.6000.2.0.0.256.1
local ID: 1033

Yet when I check the data from the main screen, it says no problem found and that the OS started?

Startup repair runs every time I boot or restart the system, and i would like to stop it and see if the OS will actually boot.(how do I do this?!?)

Any ideas, comments, concerns?

BTW, yanking the power after boot is the only way i can get F8 to work, and now bootlogging shows the drivers are loading correctly.

Also, from the appearance of the "windows is loading" bar, my guess is that neosmart changed my boot loading somehow for startup repair, (it loads very fast). Will this correct when I stop startup repair?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Ned

It's always frustrating to write these forums, 'cause you guys answer what you thing we are really asking, without reading what we did ask. (Save the flames till you read the rest, please.)

I know that your disk has no install and the OEM recovery is on the system, it just does a total install and I'm not ready to do that yet. My friends wife wants all her un-backed up family photos and if I had a USB-SATA enclosure I would be done by now. I don't, so I either need to fix it, or buy one. (or a big flash or a linux live cd with cd-rw support or any number of other less stressful options than repairing Vista.)

My question was why your startup repair appeared to have installed itself on this computer, AND why I was getting two results from it.

I exported my bcd, created a new boot image, and the system stopped re-booting into the startup repair.

And now for your links, first and formost, THANKS!

Unfortunately, the friend and wife have kids, and sticky keys was off, so the first isn't an option and the second puzzles me 'cause I cannot import the hive in regedit. It is grayed out.

Another one I found suggested a repair using vista install media, (which I have now) and bypassing the key entry and doing an upgrade. Oddly enough, this isn't an option because it is disabled on both MS versions of Vista I now have.

SO just for curiosity sake, is there a FAQ on deciphering the output data I posted above?

Thanks, Ned

Sorry if you took offence.
Remember, first time posters range between IT pros and "how do I turn it on ?" and we can only guess at the level of expertise.
The real point of my post was the links.
The preamble about the ISO was included because you said "neosmart changed my boot loading somehow" betraying a lack of understanding of the nature of the ISO.
It's a Microsoft recovery disk, provided by them at the time Vista was in Beta, and subsequently removed at RTM. We began hosting a copy as a convenience to our members when MS stopped doing so.
Everything on it is pure MS, nothing to do with us.
As you said, sadly, with Vista MS removed the "repair install" facility which XP contained.
You can still try SFC though
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929833
If you're looking to rescue precious data before factory reset, thats no problem, courtesy of Ubuntu
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/wind...backup-files-from-your-dead-windows-computer/

Last edited:
Hi again,

I am 'sort of' knowledgeable, and have been doing this since 83 which dates me.

As to the data, I have recovered it, via windows pe and a usb-ide cable and a drive I had laying around.

Now something very interesting. During copy, (using robocopy) I was getting errors indicating filenames too long. I found that the c"\users\name\AppData\Local" had recursive "Application Data" folders. So many that vista could not handle them.

ODD! I also found some evidence of other recursive junctions, and I wonder, (I won't know 'cause system restore is happily returning the laptop to new) If this is what is causing these KSOD problems.

If installs attempt to access recursive folders, then this would give all sorts of fun results.

As best as I could tell, this system was either at, (or in the process of becoming) vista home premium sp1.

Since KSOD has two common characteristics that I could find, black screen and movable cursor, and no driver loads after crcdisk.sys, AND MS has a KB that indicates this is a "deadlock" between TxF and ntfs (When you start a Windows Vista-based computer, the system may stop responding at a black screen, and their solution is clean install. Period!) which we know it is not if you can open explorer with "sticky" could this be a problem with junctions?

Before you ask, neither my friend, nor his wife and kids could have in any way been responsible for this file recursion. I think I'm pretty sharp, and I don't think I could have done it either.

So, some of you guys may look into this if you see the KSOD, and maybe find another fix that works.

Thanks Terry for trying to help!

Ned

Somethings up for sure. Vista does use junctions for compatibility with older applications but there shouldn't be several levels of appdata folders. It might be that Robocopy can't correctly handle this or that you need a newer version. I came across this program just yesterday that well allow you to get around this by backing up the junctions themselves so you can delete them while using your programs and restore them when you are finished.

the point is not to get around it, it shouldn't happen.

If an installer fails because it cannot deal with something all bets are off.

If simple file copy fails, then it is an issue.

You got the latest Robocopy? I don't care for wokarounds either but sometimes you just need to use them to get the job done.

Back