Can I install XP form recovery partition D:

Rokybird

PC:HP athlon 4600 dual core,2GB ram,320HD, also external hard drive 2TB

I installed Win 7 on my PC which had an old XP ,with recover partition for XP on D: drive about 10GB

Now it seems to run worse .It runs hotter, often 60 C plus degrees when just running media center or watching video.
And this makes the fan run faster which is noisy! Fan normally runs at 2100 rpm,but now goes to 2700 sometimes.

So I want to run a dual boot setup and try XP to see if it runs cooler.
Win 7 is on C: about 97 GB
the rest of the drive is unallocated

NOW what I have been reading elsewhere is you cant install XP after Win 7.

Does anyone know if I can install XP on my PC in a dual boot setup without removing Win 7?
Can I reinstall XP from the recovery Partition D:?
Should I reinstall XP from the disks I have?
Should I wipe out Win 7 then install XP?

Would adding 2GB ram memory make my PC use less CPU,thus run quieter?

Thanks.

You should be able to partition the hd and install XP to the new partition without issues but you may need to use easybcd to manage the boot options...

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/8057-dual-boot-installation-windows-7-xp.html

you could also install xp via virtual mode

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/

or even use EasyBCD and WinXPPE from iso image which does not require actual install.

My setup (although I'm wanting to change (remove XP) is C: XP Pro D: Win7 + Win7 Recovery (from ISO using EasyBCD) and Win7PE (from ISO using EasyBCD)

I'm sure more experienced users will offer better/easier advice!!!

I don't know why your system is creating more heat Win7 seems far better than XP

Did you remember to install your mobo utilities on W7. (XP probably had them already if it came pre-installed)
On my ASUS mobo it's called "cool and quiet", and dynamically controls the CPU voltage and the fan speed depending on load.
Also in W7 power options, have you customized the "advanced" options. You might have the CPU configured not to be able to idle down when unstressed.

Did you remember to install your mobo utilities on W7. (XP probably had them already if it came pre-installed)
On my ASUS mobo it's called "cool and quiet", and dynamically controls the CPU voltage and the fan speed depending on load.
Also in W7 power options, have you customized the "advanced" options. You might have the CPU configured not to be able to idle down when unstressed.

What utilities? I believe it is an Asus board. And the fan speed,does go up and down according to load. The problem is
at about 50% CPU load it starts to go up (around 60-64 degrees C) and it becomes annoying.
I dont remember having the CPU get to 50% load with just one video running on XP.
And I did turn try turning the "Aero" thing off which didnt help any.
"""""""""""
Install Windows XP in Dual Boot with Pre-Installed Windows 7
In any case, it's clearly a recipe for multiboot creation failure where Windows 7 is the first OS installed, and where the behaviour isn't already carefully accounted for (by an expert) during preparations for other Windows installation.

Which would bring us back to the usual recommendation -- "install the earlier version of Windows first, dummy !"
tongue.gif
-- (not much good advice for anyone with a factory-installed W7 Dell though, hahaha ...
pc.gif
)""""""""
Has anybody installed XP after Win 7 without problems?

I installed

Vista
XP
Ubuntu
W7

in that order. Step 2 required repairing the Vista boot (identical to W7)
No problems at all at any stage.
W7 is now the master system used 99% of the time.

Back