Can I use EasyBCD to fix broken Grub file?

NoHolyGrail

I set up dual-boot with Vista and Ubuntu a couple years ago. It's set up to use the Vista bootloader by default and when I select Ubuntu, it loads the Grub bootloader, from which I then select Ubuntu again to get into it. About half a year ago, I was fiddling with the menu.lst file for Grub to change it so that instead of loading the options, it just automatically went straight into the default option. However, I screwed up and set the default option to the Vista bootloader. So now, when I select Ubuntu from the Vista bootloader screen, it brings me right back to the Vista bootloader. I seldom use Ubuntu, so I've been lazy in getting around to fix it.

I know that in order to fix this manually, I would boot from a LiveCD, mount the Ubuntu partition, and edit the menu.lst file. However, this is difficult because I'm far from fluent in Ubuntu commands (I forget them every time I learn them) and the partition doesn't have a straightforward name (the name is a long alphanumeric string that I had a lot of difficult tracking down last time and I don't seem to have had the foresight to write down for next time).

So I am wondering if there is a way to use EasyBCD to access menu.lst or replace it or something?

No. EasyBCD will only fix the BCD which is strictly related to Windows Vista, Windows 7 and Windows 8. It will not fix GRUB Issues. You will have to use Linux for that.

Back