Can I use EasyBCD to fix broken Grub file?

I set up dual-boot with Vista and Ubuntu a couple years ago. It's set up to use the Vista bootloader by default and when I select Ubuntu, it loads the Grub bootloader, from which I then select Ubuntu again to get into it. About half a year ago, I was fiddling with the menu.lst file for Grub to change it so that instead of loading the options, it just automatically went straight into the default option. However, I screwed up and set the default option to the Vista bootloader. So now, when I select Ubuntu from the Vista bootloader screen, it brings me right back to the Vista bootloader. I seldom use Ubuntu, so I've been lazy in getting around to fix it.

I know that in order to fix this manually, I would boot from a LiveCD, mount the Ubuntu partition, and edit the menu.lst file. However, this is difficult because I'm far from fluent in Ubuntu commands (I forget them every time I learn them) and the partition doesn't have a straightforward name (the name is a long alphanumeric string that I had a lot of difficult tracking down last time and I don't seem to have had the foresight to write down for next time).

So I am wondering if there is a way to use EasyBCD to access menu.lst or replace it or something?

Mak 2.0

Staff member
No. EasyBCD will only fix the BCD which is strictly related to Windows Vista, Windows 7 and Windows 8. It will not fix GRUB Issues. You will have to use Linux for that.