Can not boot my new linux partition

jyrg

Hi, I'm new to this forum and is a linux beginner...as you will notice.

I want to dual boot Vista and Linux, maybe later add XP to play some games.

I installed Vista with SP1 and all updates, then used the manage option from My computer icon and shirk my 320 Gb hard drive to a new partition with size 50 Gb (after the vista 270 Gb partition).

I started to install linux kubuntu 8.04 (beta) and followed the ubuntu EasyBCD manual and found the advanced button and typed in where the bootloader should be installed, I tried /dev/sda2 and (hda0,2) but recived this error. Unable to install Grub.. This is a fatal error.
I had no success to add this linux partition with EasyBCD, even if I checked the 'Grub is'nt installed to the bootsector'

One day later I tried with the new Mandriva 2008.1 version and installed the grub bootloader without any errors. The added a new linux entry and pointed out that partition 1 (50 GB) should be used (this partition is described to be NTFS, but It could not be possible when I installed linux here). Saving the new entry and restarted and selected Mandriva 2008.1. The error messages is something like 'Can not load OS...bl.a bl.a plaese enter a valid systemdisk.

What have went wrong???
I'm using latest EasyBCD version.

BR Jyrg

Windows Boot Manager
--------------------
identifier {9dea862c-5cdd-4e70-acc1-f32b344d4795}
device partition=C:
description Windows Boot Manager
locale en-US
inherit {7ea2e1ac-2e61-4728-aaa3-896d9d0a9f0e}
default {d9a02bac-0aa7-11dd-866a-c00316061a20}
resumeobject {d9a02bad-0aa7-11dd-866a-c00316061a20}
displayorder {d9a02bac-0aa7-11dd-866a-c00316061a20}
{dad5acf5-0a69-11dd-acee-001731e9bdfe}
toolsdisplayorder {b2721d73-1db4-4c62-bf78-c548a880142d}
timeout 30

Windows Boot Loader
-------------------
identifier {d9a02bac-0aa7-11dd-866a-c00316061a20}
device partition=C:
path \Windows\system32\winload.exe
description Microsoft Windows Vista
locale en-US
inherit {6efb52bf-1766-41db-a6b3-0ee5eff72bd7}
osdevice partition=C:
systemroot \Windows
resumeobject {d9a02bad-0aa7-11dd-866a-c00316061a20}
nx OptIn

Real-mode Boot Sector
---------------------
identifier {dad5acf5-0a69-11dd-acee-001731e9bdfe}
device partition=C:
path \NST\nst_grub.mbr
description Mandriva 2008.1

Yes, that's what I have done.
Why specifies EasyBCD my linux partition as (HPFS/NTFS) ?

Do I need to to use the NeoGrub tab at all?

/Jyrg

thankx for your reply.

I have done some progress this evning...but some new mistakes to

I succeded in loading vista and a fresh installation of kubuntu 8.04, but when I decided to install XP It went wrong. XP installation stareded to copy files to disk and then restarted, but complains "can not load OS, insert system disk or something". I the tried to rewrite vista bootloader from vista installation disk, but no progress.

How can I force a new vista bootloader to be installed?

BR Jyrg

Hi again.

The grapical repair did'nt work.

going on to the manual step.
bootrec.exe /fixmbr 'the operational completed sucessfully'

but next row
x:\boot\bootsect.exe /nt60 all /force
I dont have any command bootsect.exe...is'nt the first step enough?

/jyrg

Addendum:

Ok, finally vista and kubuntu works again...but now my XP partition has a vista bootloader, is there a easy wy to install XP mbr on a specific partition from the running OS vista?

Last edited:
I am sorry i dont understand what you mean? You want to have the XP Boot menu as well as the Vista one? The XP Boot menu would only appear if you have more than 1 entry on it in the first place and i dont think you can really do it.

If you're dual-booting Vista and XP, Vista's boot loader is in charge.
It has to be that way.
XP is not forward compatible and knows nothing of Vista.
Where Vista puts its boot loader (and XP's boot files), will depend on which of the partitions is marked "active" when the Vista boot is installed (or repaired)
On your system (and on mine) that would appear to be the XP partition, thats why the Vista bootloader is there. If you're not able to boot XP after having repaired the Vista bootloader (normally Vista will see XP and create a boot option for it - "Legacy Windows" or some such description), then you can use EasyBCD to add the XP entry.

Well, when I repaired (dos commands) the corrupted MBR, this process also updated the bootloader on my partition 2, where I just tried to install XP (only came so far as the first reboot, then I could not continue due the boot problem).
But OK, I can now use vista and kubuntu.

Then I started Vista and easybcd and tried to add the XP as an vista boot option, but could now not select the XP partition since easybcd relizes it has a vista bootloader. When I first selected drive and then type of os, it worked but feels I bit backwards or...

Maby not the easiest way, but working with 3 OS now so I'm very happy, thanks for your support.
I have learned quite a lot about partitions, bootloader and so on, thanx

Partition 1 - 200 GB Vista
Partition 2 - 50 GB XP
Partition 3 - 48 GB Kubuntu
Partition 4 - 2 GB Kubuntu swap

Have you read the wiki about XP problems. Although Vista is now in charge of the boot, it still needs the XP boot files (which must be on the same drive as the Vista bootloader), because it passes control to XP's NTLDR when you request XP in the Vista boot menu (and that expects to find a normal set of XP boot files)
Have a read here to familiarize yourself with the process
http://neosmart.net/wiki/display/EBCD/Windows+XP
and follow the troubleshooting link for XP boot problems.

Back