Can Not get to one partition on my drive

klong915

Hi,
I have a drive with 3 partitions 2 are windows 10, the other is linux mint. The update to windows 209 failed and I lost my boot sector. I can recreate it but can't get to the drive I use most. Windows 10 64k. I can see it from the other Win10 boot and files seem like are intact.

Ezbcd chooses what it wants as far as the ezbcd ID, I can see it's not correct but do not see how to change it.
Please help, Thanks Keith

Whatever letter the booted W10 sees the missing W10 partition as in Explorer, is the letter you should specify in the "Drive" field when adding another W10 entry to the BCD
Adding Entries

Hi Terry, Thanks for the reply. Yes I do select drive E as seen from the unwanted windows 10 boot. But the BCD ID given looks incorrect. I don't see how to change it. Maybe I remember incorrectly but at one time we could read in a BCD file as saved by EZ. One that we could edit. I don't see this today.

In what way ?
Copy/Paste the contents of "view settings"
Hi Terry, Thanks for the reply. Yes I do select drive E as seen from the unwanted windows 10 boot. But the BCD ID given looks incorrect. I don't see how to change it. Maybe I remember incorrectly but at one time we could read in a BCD file as saved by EZ. One that we could edit. I don't see this today.

I think BCD ID should reference 8cc36612-...
here is the copy-paste of what is in place thanks, Keith

Windows Boot Manager
--------------------
identifier {9dea862c-5cdd-4e70-acc1-f32b344d4795}
device partition=C:
description Windows Boot Manager
locale en-US
inherit {7ea2e1ac-2e61-4728-aaa3-896d9d0a9f0e}
default {8cc36612-b180-11e9-b4c9-d885872deb58}
resumeobject {8cc36611-b180-11e9-b4c9-d885872deb58}
displayorder {8cc36612-b180-11e9-b4c9-d885872deb58}
{da03ea11-bc74-11e9-9bf5-d4bed9219447}
{da03ea12-bc74-11e9-9bf5-d4bed9219447}
toolsdisplayorder {b2721d73-1db4-4c62-bf78-c548a880142d}
timeout 7
displaybootmenu Yes

Windows Boot Loader
-------------------
identifier {8cc36612-b180-11e9-b4c9-d885872deb58}
device partition=C:
path \WINDOWS\system32\winload.exe
description Win10-1
locale en-US
inherit {6efb52bf-1766-41db-a6b3-0ee5eff72bd7}
recoverysequence {8cc36614-b180-11e9-b4c9-d885872deb58}
displaymessageoverride Recovery
recoveryenabled Yes
allowedinmemorysettings 0x15000075
osdevice partition=C:
systemroot \WINDOWS
resumeobject {8cc36611-b180-11e9-b4c9-d885872deb58}
nx OptIn
bootmenupolicy Standard

Windows Boot Loader
-------------------
identifier {da03ea11-bc74-11e9-9bf5-d4bed9219447}
device partition=E:
path \Windows\system32\winload.exe
description Win10-2
locale en-US
osdevice partition=E:
systemroot \Windows
resumeobject {073d1f82-bc76-11e9-beca-806e6f6e6963}
pae ForceEnable

Real-mode Boot Sector
---------------------
identifier {da03ea12-bc74-11e9-9bf5-d4bed9219447}
device partition=C:
path \NST\AutoNeoGrub0.mbr
description Linux Mint

I hope you did not give up on me, I really want to regain use of the second partition on my drive. the win 10 I can boot to is just a shell so that I can access the drive w/o doing going into command or powershell. The linux drive is never used any more, I found it too slow for use, and use cygwin on windows instead (also on the unwanted win10 drive, it's very portable).
thanks,
Keith

Ezbcd chooses what it wants as far as the ezbcd ID
These ids are not generated by EasyBCD,

The BCD UID is generated by Windows and is a hashed combination of the unique device signature and the partition offset from the beginning of the device and it's stored in the registry
EasyBCD translates the letter you specify by referencing the Registry map of Windows disk letters/UIDs to find the correct ID for the partition you want.

The BCD doesn't contain Windows disk letters at all.
The Windows disk letters you see in EasyBCD "view settings" (both versions) are additional translations from the map in the registry of the running OS, reported to you by EasyBCD because the actual IDs are so human unfriendly.

If EasyBCD is telling you that that's the ID for disk letter E, it's because that's how it's mapped in your registry, and that's the only way you can find it.
You can see it in Regedit HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > SYSTEM > Mounted Devices > \DosDevices\E

It's not a field you can edit, because EasyBCD only communicates with the user in Disk letters via that registry map, hence "Easy.." doing all the hard translation work into that finger-trouble-prone format for you.

If there were anything wrong with that BCD entry (as there would be if you changed anything) the boot with fail with some kind of "..not found " message.

The fact that it tries to do something and fails indicates that more is wrong with your system than just the lost boot sector.

The boot sequence is
1.After pressing the power button, the PC’s firmware initiates a Power-On Self Test (POST) and loads firmware settings. This pre-boot process ends when a valid system disk is detected.
2.Firmware reads the master boot record (MBR), and then starts Bootmgr.exe. Bootmgr.exe finds and starts the Windows loader (Winload.exe) on the Windows boot partition.
3.Essential drivers required to start the Windows kernel are loaded and the kernel starts to run, loading into memory the system registry hive and additional drivers that are marked as BOOT_START.
4.The kernel passes control to the session manager process (Smss.exe) which initializes the system session, and loads and starts the devices and drivers that are not marked BOOT_START.
5.Winlogon.exe starts, the user logon screen appears, the service control manager starts services, and any Group Policy scripts are run. When the user logs in, Windows creates a session for that user.
6.Explorer.exe starts, the system creates the desktop window manager (DWM) process, which initializes the desktop and displays it.

which would indicate, since you didn't get a winload.exe not found message, that something failed in 3 or 4, before any monitor activity in 5

If this happened because of a failure in Windows Update, then you're entitled to free one-to-one support from Microsoft to fix it

Start here
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/10164
and I think the walk through should end with a Telephone help number if the intervening steps don't help

awsome explanation, thank you. I was busy cleaning rugs this past weekend and had no time to think about this. I have another pc that has almost the same set up as the desired partition on the pc we been writing about. I been using it. None of my pc's do the login sequence for windows; I used the netplwiz and remove the login session. Gosh it's my pc I'm the only one that uses it; dos/windows got better over the years but the security thing is a problem since vista.
I will try what you've suggested and update you with progress.
Thanks,
Keith

Hi Terry, OK I went to the link you posted but It appeared like you needed to be booted to the drive that you're having trouble with. It was windows update that did this 2x. The first time I was able to recover via EZ. I sat in front of the PC the second time and watched the update not happen; however; I can't recover this time.
How can I use the link you posted if can't boot to the problem drive?
Thanks,
Keith

Afaik you don't need to be on the affected system to follow that script.
By definition, you're there because the affected system is u/s.

OK, I tried another approach. The one you mentioned did not appear to attack the correct drive.
WIN10 REPAIR MBR:

1) Boot from the original installation DVD (or the recovery USB)
2) At the Welcome screen, click Repair your computer
3) Choose Troubleshoot
4) Choose Command Prompt
5) When the Command Prompt loads, type the following commands:
bootrec /FixMbr
bootrec /FixBoot
bootrec /ScanOs
bootrec /RebuildBcd
6) Press Enter after each command and wait for each operation to finish
7) Remove the DVD from the disk tray
8) Type exit
9) Hit Enter
10) Restart your computer and check if Windows can now boot

This did seem to attack the corrupted window's boot on E drive. It created an additional partition selection to select from and labeled it Windows 10 PRO, however I can't boot to it

Now there are 4 selections to make on boot-up. I selected same but seem to be at the same place. I can not boot to this drive.

I think there is a way to do this. I can see and manipulate files on this drive, things look to be in place.

I can alter this drive from the first windows install/drive C: . I don't think I can alter the registry file on Drive E from C.

I really want this partition back, my MS licenses and others are on this drive. Drive C: is bare bones.

If you can help please do.

Thanks,
Keith

Back