Can you recommend a program for w98 to do what Easy does w/vista?

Hi Lex, welcome to NST.
They didn't put dual-boot support into windows until NTLDR (with NT and XP), so there's no MS way of doing it.
There are plenty of boot-loader programs out there it you want to pay for one (just google), but wouldn't it be simpler to let Grub control the dual boot for you since you're using Ubuntu ?

Yup!!!

:smile:I switched the hard drives so windoze is slave and now ubuntu works and windoze doesn't. When choose win98 from grub menu it goes to "starting up" screen and never goes further. Have checked boot/grub/menu.lst and it seems to be correct - as far as I can tell, anyway - - win98 used to work and uby didn't, so mbr should be ok.

Thanks, if you can point me somewhere -
and thanks, if you can't :lup:

:smile:I switched the hard drives so windoze is slave and now ubuntu works and windoze doesn't. When choose win98 from grub menu it goes to "starting up" screen and never goes further. Have checked boot/grub/menu.lst and it seems to be correct - as far as I can tell, anyway - - win98 used to work and uby didn't, so mbr should be ok.

Thanks, if you can point me somewhere -
and thanks, if you can't :lup:

Hi, lexrexux. :smile: Like Terry said, post your menu.lst, so we can a look at it.
The entry for Win 98 must not be pointed at the right place, and that is why it fails to boot when you select the entry at startup. So go ahead and post your menu.lst and we should be able to sort it out soon enough. :wink:

-Coolname007

Thank you, Thank you!!
It works now - didn't realize my grub edits weren't being saved (for one thing) - and didn't know to add "make active" as below:

title windozes
root (hd1, 0)
savedefault
makeactive
map (hd0) (hd1)
map (hd1) (hd0)
chainloader +1

HOURS....

Again, thank you very much for your responses!!!

Well you seem to have sorted it without our help, but thanks for the thanks anyway.

Back