Cannot boot from Vista DVD

R

rshoe4056

I have a dual boot system (XP and Vista), each OS on a different HD.
Booting to either OS is not a problem. But, I cannot boot to
the CD/DVD drives. My BOIS is set to boot to the CD drives first, then HD, then Floppy
Both CD/DVD drive appear in DEVICE MANAGER. Both work OK and can be seen in MY COMPUTER.

I simply cannot boot to the original VISTA DVD, which is what I am try to do in order to
repair my Vista OS. Any body have any thoughts? Thanks in advance.

Is there a setting in Easy BCD 1.7 that I am overlooking?

Thanks in advance!
Bob

This is not an EasyBCD-related issue.

Is your CD an original Vista DVD or is it a copy/backup/ISO-burned/something? Because the only other explanation is that the your Vista DVD is not bootable.

Can you boot from another CD, like say the Windows XP setup disc?

Topic moved.

Yes, the DVD is an original Vista Home Premium DVD (upgrade version) straight out of the Plastic box. I actually have not tried to boot the the original XP CD...good suggestion. The Vista "install pamplet indicates that it (DVD) is bootable for install purposed. (Where was original post moved?)

OK...I have tried booting to an original XP CD....no luck. Upon Press F12, I get the "boot" menu, but when choosing CD/DVD Drive, I'll receive another message:

F2 = System BOIS or F12 = for Boot Menu. (Not exactly like this)

If I select F@, the System BOIS comes up. If I select F12, the boot mene re-appears.

I keep looping in circles, and am unable to stop unless I " CTL_ALT_DEL",
which simple re-boots and starts the process all over again.

I think I had/still have a similar problem. I simply cannot boot from any Vista DVD either (original/backup/ISO-copy). Okay, I didn't do my ISO-copy properly, but I cannot boot Vista from the DVD/CD drive. My booting problem seems okay now, but I don't know why my Vista won't boot from a disk.

Last edited:
You have to check your BIOS. Hit something like F2 or Del at the very begining of your powerup to see if you boot options are set to boot from CD Drive before hard drive.

Thanks all for your replies.

My BIOS is setup properly. In fact, I disabled the Hard Drive entry and the floppy entry and this left only the CD Drive entry left in the boot Sequence listing in my BIOS. I still was not able to boot to a XP CD or Vista Original DVD.

I have absoutly no problem reading and writing to these drives or playing music, seeing photos, watching movies. Both drives work without flaws. I simply cannot boot to either. Very Strange!

Do you even get the screen that says "Hit any key to boot from CD/DVD" ?

It isnt just like it will auto boot to them. there is some user inout required. :wink:

I have the same problem. My Vista OS needs to be reinstalled because the system files are corrupt. However for some reason i cannot boot from the DVD drive. I have tried every possible thing i can find in the bios. Even set it so only the DVD drive was bootable. I do get the "Hit any key to boot from CD/DVD" when i remove the HD from the boot list however it just shows the message over and over when i hit a key. I have tried this with both XP professional and vista ultimate disks both of which worked for previous boot installs on other machines and this machine previously. Infact it worked on my 2nd HD a week ago.

Any ideas?

You should have to leave your hard drive on the boot list just have it lower than the CD/DVD ROM drive. If not the system will not find a hard drive to fix.

I have the same problem. My Vista OS needs to be reinstalled because the system files are corrupt. However for some reason i cannot boot from the DVD drive. I have tried every possible thing i can find in the bios. Even set it so only the DVD drive was bootable. I do get the "Hit any key to boot from CD/DVD" when i remove the HD from the boot list however it just shows the message over and over when i hit a key. I have tried this with both XP professional and vista ultimate disks both of which worked for previous boot installs on other machines and this machine previously. Infact it worked on my 2nd HD a week ago.

Any ideas?
Do you get the option of pressing F8 or F12 to select boot media?

Is your cd drive IDE or SATA. Are they connected to any I/O Cards such as Raid cards? If they are, you would need to configure them through the I/O bios.

I have this same problem. When I try to boot Vista using the DVD I get stuck at "Boot from CD/DVD" The drive works because I can see the files perfectly when I go into My Computer, and I tried booting with my old XP CD and it worked perfectly. any suggestions?

Sounds like a bad disc. If the XP disc works and every other disc works this only points to the fact that the Vista DVD you have is bad.

dear friends
CD/DVD drive is one or two?
both are IDE or SATA?
if SATA if u want to boot frm DVD u hav to change in BIOS SATA as RAID insted of IDE,
if more than one DVD drive make sure the master slave order of drive
all drive should not hav cable select option, we hav to configure maually,
then it ll work

Hello Sasuda Welcome to NST.

This isnt really a concern as they state that they can already boot from another CD. It is just the Vista DVD that they can not boot from. Which means that the BIOS is already setup to boot from correctly. Just the Media is corrupt. :wink:

One other thought: the DVD drive is damaged. I had a laptop which wouldn't boot from DVDs, but would boot from CDs OK. Turns out it was damaged and had errors reading from DVD discs.

Back