Cannot boot Windows 7 and keep getting bootmgr missing!

lordb

To any and everyone on this forum, I would be eternally very grateful if someone could help me solve my Windows 7 boot problem.

I have a HP Pavilion DV5 running an after market Windows 7 install. The other day I decided to create some more space by compressing the C drive (yeah I know, BAD idea :shame:smile:. Since then I haven't been able to get back in :angry:. I have tried to uncompress some of the files and have followed the Windows 7 bootloader recovery guide but to no avail.

I am becoming desperate and really want to avoid a fresh install; this is driving me mad!!

Any help or advice would be most appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

mqudsi

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
You need to delete bootmgr from the command line, then perform an automated repair.

lordb

You need to delete bootmgr from the command line, then perform an automated repair.
Thanks for the reply Guru.

I tried that but keep getting the following message:
"BFSVC: BfspCopyFile(c:\windows\boot\PCAT\bootmgr,
\\?\GLOBALROOT\Device\HarddiskVolume1\bootmgr) failed! (attempt # of 16) Last Error = 0x5
BFSVC: No process found using c:\windows\boot\PCAT\bootmgr file.
BFSVC: No process found using \\?\GLOBALROOT\Device\HarddiskVolume1\bootmgr file."

The WinRE makes 60 attempts then tells me it can't repair the computer automatically.

When I view details is gives me the following information:
Problem Event name: StartupRepairOffline
Problem signature 01 & 02: 6.1.7600.16385
problem signature 03: unknown
problem signature 04: 21
problem signature 05: externalmedia
problem signature 06: 1
Problem signature 07: MissingBootManager
OS version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.1
Locale ID: 1033

I still get this message even after taking the recovery steps!

Terry60

Knows where his towel is.
Staff member
Where did you delete bootmgr from ?

Since you say you compressed your drive then had issues, I would boot from a Windows 7 or higher install media or recovery disk then run a
Code:
chkdsk x: /f /x
to repair any NTFS issues (from cmd.exe). In fact, do this twice, then proceed with the guide on the wiki. Substitute the appropriate windows drive letter for x:

The Windows 8 Consumer Preview DVD works well as a recovery disk, just use "Repair", then drill into the options until you find the place where you can run your cmd.exe

Last edited: