Cannot start Windows 7

p1k2b3

1. I have Windows 7 Pro installed in "Windows 7 System Disk" (C)
2. I also have a Casper v5.0 copy of (C) in External Backup Drive "BU-Windows 7 System Disk" (V)
3. Last week, the PC wouldn't Boot from C:
4. I have original Windows 7 Pro Installation DVD.
5. I start System Recovery using that Disk.
6. The System was recovered but
- I find that now the PC was starting from the external backup drive "BU-Windows 7 System Disk" and changed the drive letter from (V) to (C) and the original "Windows 7 System Disk" (C) has become (V).
- Now I cannot disconnect the external HDD and start PC from internal HDD, although the drive letter has changed back to (C).
- If I take any of these HDD off the system and start the PC, I get the following:
"Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might the cause. To fix the problem:
1. Insert your Windows installation disc and restart your computer.
2. Choose your language settings and then click 'Next'.
3. Click 'Repair your computer'
File: c:\windows\system32\winload.exe
This selected entry could not be loaded because the application is missing or corrupt ."
4. On 'Repair your computer', I get the message:
"Windows cannot repair this computer automatically.
Root cause found: Boot Manager failed to find OS loader."
7. I installed and run EasyBCD v2.0.2 and found the following:
- View settings:
603b44019f.jpg

- Edit Boot Menu:
108c37181d.jpg

8. I have also noticed that a new HDD partition has been created in my Internal HDD (100MB-System Reserved).
- System Reserved:
e810418a0b.jpg

Would somebody guide me (step by step) to fix this mess I have created - please!:frowning:

p1k2b3,

You can download the ISO image for a Gparted partition editor boot disk. Use the Gparted partition editor to set the Windows 7 OS partition on the first disc to be the active partition. You do this by setting the flag on the right side of the graphical screen in Gparted as boot.

See pic:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:GParted.png

Gparted boot disk ISO image:
http://gparted.sourceforge.net/download.php

Then do what Mak 2.0 recommended. That should fix it. If you can boot into the Windows 7 on the first hard drive, then disconnect the second drive and make sure you can still boot into the first Windows 7.

When you get this fixed I recommend that you format the second hard drive as a extended partition from end to end. Then make as many logical partitions in the extended partition as you like. I don’t know how you managed to get the Windows 7 installation on the second drive unless you intend it to be there and install it there. But having a primary partition on the second drive is what allowed this situation to occur. Logical partitions can’t be active.

Back