Can't boot into Ubuntu

drmsucks

Just installed Ubuntu 7.04 on a drive that has Win Vista installed. The physical drive is 320 GB and was partitioned at Vista install with 100 GB partition (G:smile: and 220 GB unallocated space. Vista is installed on the 100 GB space. During the Ubuntu install, I directed the installation to the unallocated space to install Ubuntu. Everything appears to have gone fine but I don't get a boot option for Ubuntu - just Vista. (Using the Vista bootloader.) Using EasyBCD 1.6, I don't see how to "point" to the Linux partition because Windows doesn't show it. What do I need to do to have the Ubuntu Linux OS as a boot option. Thanks!

hi drmsucks, welcome to NeoSmart Technologies.

Did you install GRUB to the bootsector of the Ubuntu partition?
If you didn't, follow the "Reinstalling GRUB" section here: http://neosmart.net/wiki/display/EBCD/Linux

After you've done that, boot back into Windows Vista and add the Ubuntu partition with EasyBCD 1.6.

Thanks. At a Linux terminal, the find cmd returned (hd1,1) and I used the root and setup (twice) commands as instructed. In EasyBCD, I added an entry, Ubuntu 7.04, but note that my Linux native partition was shown as Drive 2, partition 1. I selected this anyway and Ubuntu 7.04 came up as a boot option but would not boot. I note in Easy BCD "View Settings" that the Ubuntu 7.04 entry is pointing to C:\ with a path of \NST\nst_grub.mbr. By way of reference, I have 4 physical drives: C: - Win XP, D: - NTFS data drive, E: - NTFS Windows programs, and G: - Win Vista. The Linux partition is physically on G:. Thanks for your help.

No problem.

OK, now you need to change your menu.lst file to point to the right partition.

Something like this
Code:
default 0
timeout 0

title		Ubuntu, kernel 2.6.20-15-generic
root		(hd0,1)
kernel		/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.20-15-generic root=UUID=d0002750-f7b3-4940-95e5-53663af009c9 ro quiet splash
initrd		/boot/initrd.img-2.6.20-15-generic
quiet
savedefault

where your root line says (hd1,1) though.

Thanks, but it looks like my menu.lst file has it right. I'll copy it below but looks like you wanted it to except for the UUID - is that the problem?

title Ubuntu, kernel 2.6.20-15-generic
root (hd1,1)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.20-15-generic root=UUID=bd0c9d54-5725-4a2b-a94f-b43a120153a0 ro quiet splash
initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.20-15-generic
quiet
savedefault

when you say: selecting Ubuntu wouldn't boot - what does that mean exactly?
black screen? error message? back to the original bootloader?

Added Ubuntu to Win Boot Mgr with EasyBCD 1.6 per above. On reboot the Win Boot Manager comes up with my three choices: Vista, XP or Linux. Vista and/or XP both will boot into the OS. If I select Linux it goes to a black screen as follows:
"BootPart 2.60 Bootsector (c) (etc...)
Loading new partition
Bootsector from C. H. Hochstatter
Cannot load from harddisk
Insert systemdisk and press any key"

Hmm... That's telling me that GRUB isn't installed right to the bootsector.

try booting from a linux DVD, mount and chroot the main linux partition, then run
Code:
grub-install --recheck /dev/****

Will do but question. (I am new to Linux.) I understand mount cmd but what is "chroot." Also, is the syntax exact in the install Grub line - with the dashes, etc. I know I've got to complete the path. Finally, if you'll check above, EasyBCD shows a wrong path for the Linux option. Is this not important?

Interesting.. IT should have been partition 2.

Theres' a possiblity: EasyBCD doesn't include counts for improper partitions (blank space, corrupted MBR, etc.) but so long as the size and filesystem are correct, it's probably the right choice.

With regards to chroot & co., use the second portion (the part in a quote) of the first post of this guide: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=224351

I'll be re-writing it in a much more clear way for the EasyBCD documentation soon.

oh, btw, the dashes are supposed to be there. e.g.:

Code:
grub-install --recheck /dev/hda1
or something like that.

Guru - I'm going nowhere fast! Can you please give me the commands, in order, after I boot from the Live CD? I've tried to follow your last set of instructions and can't. Also, pls note attached file - does error mean anything?

grub> find /boot/grub/stage1
(hd1,1)

grub> root (hd1,1)

Looks like attachment failed - here's the file contents:

grub> setup (hd1,1)
Checking if "/boot/grub/stage1" exists... yes
Checking if "/boot/grub/stage2" exists... yes
Checking if "/boot/grub/e2fs_stage1_5" exists... yes
Running "embed /boot/grub/e2fs_stage1_5 (hd1,1)"... failed (this is not fatal)
Running "embed /boot/grub/e2fs_stage1_5 (hd1,1)"... failed (this is not fatal)
Running "install /boot/grub/stage1 (hd1,1) /boot/grub/stage2 p /boot/grub/menu
.lst "... succeeded
Done.

Did you do the chroot step?

Back in Vista you have to delete the old Linux entry and re-create it. Try it for both the original drive number and this one.

"Back in Vista you have to delete the old Linux entry and re-create it." Did this and still get to hung black screen "Cannot load from harddisk."

"Try it for both the original drive number and this one." I'm confused by this comment - what do you mean by "original drive number" and what is "this one?" I told EasyBCD to use the main Linux partition (HD1,1).

How about if I follow Sith's guide from step 7?

If that fails, I'll do a re-install of Ubuntu and catch the Grub part. But how do I uninstall Ubuntu?

Thanks.

drmsucks said:
Thanks. At a Linux terminal, the find cmd returned (hd1,1) and I used the root and setup (twice) commands as instructed. In EasyBCD, I added an entry, Ubuntu 7.04, but note that my Linux native partition was shown as Drive 2, partition 1. I selected this anyway and Ubuntu 7.04 came up as a boot option but would not boot. I note in Easy BCD "View Settings" that the Ubuntu 7.04 entry is pointing to C:\ with a path of \NST\nst_grub.mbr. By way of reference, I have 4 physical drives: C: - Win XP, D: - NTFS data drive, E: - NTFS Windows programs, and G: - Win Vista. The Linux partition is physically on G:. Thanks for your help.
You sound like you're in the same boat as me with the number of drives that you have.

If no one elses suggestions help, I have a little HowTo on the Ubuntu Forums.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=434357

I have it split up into sections and just recently updated a little. You may want to skip to how to figure out what partition is what using DISKPART in Vista, otherwise you can follow the whole thing if you want. :smile:

*Just checked*

EasyBCD *is* showing the right number for the drive and partition - it lists both from 0 as does linux.

Back