Can't Boot Into Vista Home Premium

Hi,

Firstly I have been having trouble trying to install Vista Service Pack 2, which has got me to the point of not being able to boot into Windows at all.

I saw in another post that I should download the Paragon Rescue Kit, which I did. I then moved the Components, Default, Sam, Security, Software, System files from \Windows\System32\config\RegBack into \Windows\System32\config\. This worked brilliantly and I booted with no problems.

However, since then when I shut down and restarted the laptop went into a "configuring updates screen showing stage 3 of 3 0% where it sits for a few minutes, restarts itself and the cycle continues with no progress from the 0%.

I have tried F8 to do a startup repair, to which it says there is no error, safe mode just incurs the same issue as above and windows restore shows no restore points before I tried to install SP2.

If I try and use the CD again, replacing files etc I can get back into Vista, but I get the same issue whenever it shuts down/restarts.....

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Dan

When you are in Vista you should be able to uninstall SP2 using Programs/Features in control panel. If you can't than unfortunately it looks like your install is finished. You should take advantage of the brief ability to get into Windows to backup your files to a safe location before re-installing.

Thanks for that, I'll give it a try.

This may sound like a daft question, but should that fail what is the best way to back-up/re-install from back-up?

Thanks

Dan

You can't reinstall from the backup, but you can recover your data files to an external HDD by using a Linux LiveCD (try the Ubuntu distro, its the best). Once you burn the CD, just boot from it, select your language, then "Try Ubuntu with no change to my computer" option, and you'll get to the Ubuntu desktop in a Live session. Then, simply go to Places->Computer, and you'll be able to recover your files from probably Users/Username/Documents on the Vista partition.

However, have you tried booting Vista in safe mode?

Back