can't boot into win7

ZipGene

I'm running Win7 and several flavors of Linux on a UEFI machine. Somehow I borked the boot entries -- or at least the Windows bootloader, and I need to recover it.

I can't boot into Windows or use a Windows repair disk (it returns the message that it is the wrong type of disk for my install).

I can boot into the latest Ubuntu, or into various CD remedies such as EasyRE, Rescatux and SuperGrub, all to no avail.

I suppose my next option will be to try to reinstall GRUB2 on the Ubuntu partition.

I would greatly appreciate any help. I REALLY don't want to reinstall Windows, though I probably could.

Gene

Hi ZipGene,

I'm familiar with that error when booting from the Windows setup disk, but what error do you get when you're booting into Windows itself?

Hi ZipGene,

I'm familiar with that error when booting from the Windows setup disk, but what error do you get when you're booting into Windows itself?

Hi, Mahmoud. Thanks for your reply.
The msgs is: Windows was unable to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause. to fix the problem:
1. Insert your Windows installation disc and restart your computer.
2. Choose your language settings, and then click "Next."
3.Click "Repair your comptuer."
If you do not have the disc, contact your system administrator or computer manufacturer for assistance.
File: \Windows\System32\winload.exe
Info: The selected entry could not be loaded because the application is missing or corrupt.

Is this an EFI machine by any chance? Is your BIOS configured to boot in legacy or EFI mode?

You need to find a setting regarding priority. For your configuration, it must try booting Legacy or CSM before UEFI.

You need to find a setting regarding priority. For your configuration, it must try booting Legacy or CSM before UEFI.
BIOS gives me 2 choices: "UEFI" and "Legacy+UEFI." In any case, all the drives are type GPT. Doesn't that mean that there is no MBR?

It's usually a separate option. The fact that your BCD is trying to load "\Windows\System32\winload.exe" means it is definitely attempting to boot in legacy mode.
A GPT disk does not mean no MBR, unfortunately. You can have both with one being "disabled" (protective MBR) or both active (so-called "hybrid MBR").

It's usually a separate option. The fact that your BCD is trying to load "\Windows\System32\winload.exe" means it is definitely attempting to boot in legacy mode.
A GPT disk does not mean no MBR, unfortunately. You can have both with one being "disabled" (protective MBR) or both active (so-called "hybrid MBR").
I've been all through the BIOS options and the only legacy boot choice is [Legacy+UEFI]. I'm uncertain whether the BIOS tries to boot into legacy first or UEFI first.

Back