Can't boot ubuntu -dual boot with xp

robin1

I have winxp installed on the first partition and ubuntu on the rest to the hard drive as below.
Code:
 Disk /dev/sda: 500.1 GB, 500107862016 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 60801 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes

Device    Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System
/dev/sda1   *           1       30618   245931254+   7  HPFS/NTFS
/dev/sda2           30618       60802   242454529    5  Extended
/dev/sda5           30618       59864   234925056   83  Linux
/dev/sda6           59865       60802     7528448   82  Linux swap / Solaris
Reading here, I think a lot of my problem is that I formatted the linux ext4, but also using easyBCD 1.7.2, I see here something about Grub2 which 1.7.2 doesn't seem to know about.
If ext4 won't work for the linux boot, I guess I have to start over with a new Ubuntu install.
Also, is seems that the choices for the ubuntu 10.4 installation are significantly different from the guidance at NeoSmart Technologies Guides, expecially the part where you configure grub.
Instead of 1-post wonder it should be 1-post disaster

Last edited:
EasyBCD is for configuring the Vista/7 BCD. You can run the program in XP but it has no function if you are not also a Vista/7 licence holder, using bootmgr/BCD to control the boot.
EasyBCD 1.7 pre-dates W7 and grub2 so contains no support for either.
Version 2 supports both, but will still be of no use to you if bootmgr is not controlling your boot.
Why not Install 10.4 with its default options and let grub2 take control of the boot process.
It will detect XP and give you a menu option for it.

The first time I tried it, GRUB trashed the mbr. fixboot and fixmbr could not repair.

You can't tumble when you're flat on your face

You don't need to fixmbr. Let Linux have the MBR. It's much friendlier.
Linux will find Windows and provide a dual-boot entry for it.
Windows won't detect Linux, and needs to be manually configured.
EasyBCD will help you do that easily for the Vista/7 BCD, but can't help you configure XP's boot.ini to do the same.
You'll need to Bing your way round the web for information on how to get XP to dual-boot Linux if you choose to do it the hard way.

Add/Remove programs in control panel.

To dual-boot with ntldr for XP/Linux, make sure grub's grldr is on a Windows drive, say C:\. You'd put this into boot.ini under [operating systems]:

c:\grldr="Linux"

What EasyBCD bootloader ?
What do you think shouldn't be there ?
EasyBCD is just an app, not a bootloader.
It configures the Vista/7's boot manager BCD.
From what you previously posted, you don't have one.

Back