Can't boot Ubuntu

F

frost151n

Hey guys!!!
I have Ubuntu installed to my first hard disk & Vista on my second. Comp boots second. I followed the steps to add an entry to the MBR but it stops at a black screen with white text.
if anyone can tell me how to copy a screencap before the os boots I'll post it!

Attached is a screenshot of my BCD entry.

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    280.9 KB · Views: 10
Last edited by a moderator:
Hey guys!!!
I have Ubuntu installed to my first hard disk & Vista on my second. Comp boots second. I followed the steps to add an entry to the MBR but it stops at a black screen with white text.
if anyone can tell me how to copy a screencap before the os boots I'll post it!

Attached is a screenshot of my BCD entry.

Hi frost151n. Welcome to NST.
You can use a digital camera (if you have one) to snap a picture of the screen you're getting to before the OS boots, but a better thing to post right now is the contents of your Ubuntu menu.lst located at /boot/grub/menu.lst on your Ubuntu partition. Also, could you explain more precisely what exactly you've tried so far? Have you tried creating a new entry under the Linux tab in EasyBCD for Ubuntu, after checking the box called "Grub isn't installed to the bootsector"? Also, what version of EasyBCD are you using? Try EasyBCD 2.0 Beta, which has more features for Linux.

Cheers,

-Coolname007

Hey Coolname007, tastewar

I'll give you the menu.lst & pic later. It's my home comp. & I'm at work!

I used this giude. Did not check "Grub isn't installed to the bootsector". 1.7.2

It used the same procedure successfully many times on my old comp. Although, on the old comp Ubuntu was 2nd and Vista 1st.

Ok, so download, install, and use EasyBCD 2.0 Beta instead, and navigate to the NeoGrub tab in the Add/Remove Entries section of EasyBCD. If NeoGrub is already installed, then click on the "Remove NeoGrub" button to remove it. Next, navigate to the Linux tab in the same section, delete any existing Linux entries there, and then add a new one, making sure to select "Grub" in the "Type" menu, and to select the correct drive and partition Linux is installed to under the "Device" menu, and this time remembering to check the box titled "Grub isn't installed to the bootsector". This will install a version of NeoGrub that reads the menu.lst on the Linux partition. For a lot of users, that was all that was needed to get a working Linux/Windows dual-boot, but for some it requires editing of the menu.lst located at /boot/grub/menu.lst on your Ubuntu partition. So first test out the entry, after creating it, and if it works, fine, but if it doesn't, boot from a LiveCD, and copy the contents of the menu.lst into your next post, along with the output of the following command run from the Terminal which you will find at Applications>Accessories>Terminal while booted from the LiveCD:

Code:
sudo fdisk -l
And that last letter is a lowercase L, and not a number 1 or a capital i. :wink:

-Coolname007

Last edited:
Back