Cant boot with EasyBCD

bigbadger

Hi,

I think I screwed up. My fault. I have a dual boot XP and Win 7. I was reading a forum and saw that with EasyBCD I could change the auto boot sequence from Win 7 to XP. (to save me using the up arrow and enter key when my PC boots up. It automatically goes into win 7 unless I am there at startup. So installed ebcd and ran the program - absolutely sure i didnt make any changes - just flicked thru the menis - decided i would not use the program - thought it was a quick and easy solution and on the face of it was not. So I uninstalled the program. I then rebooted and XP wouldnt start. Rebooted to see if I could get into Win7 and that was fine. The only way I can get into XP now is in safe mode. Is there something in EBCD that has been installed that would be causing this problem - and how can I resolve it. My pC was fine until I installed this and everything is fine in safe mode.

Thanks

Type cmd in start search box. A little black box pops up. Rt click it and run as admin ( that elevates it).

Type just the one word bcdedit, then press enter.

Then rt click the top of the command window, Edit>Select All, ( the contents of the window will then be highlighted ). Press enter. The contents are now saved to the clipboard.

Start a post here - rt click in it and Paste.

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>bcdedit
'bcdedit' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>

I am of course running this in safe mode as the only wat to boot xp

You need to run bcdedit from within 7 - it is not an XP command. You did it right - just need to do it from within 7.

While you are in the command prompt on 7 - you might also type:

Diskpart ( it takes a few seconds to open)

lis disk

sel disk 0

detail disk

exi

press enter after each command , obviously - and post the results of the command window.

Last edited:
Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7100]
Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Windows\system32>bcdedit

Windows Boot Manager
--------------------
identifier {bootmgr}
device partition=D:
description Windows Boot Manager
locale en-US
inherit {globalsettings}
default {current}
resumeobject {fec161a8-6a08-11de-b629-c2fd5b79872b}
displayorder {ntldr}
{current}
toolsdisplayorder {memdiag}
timeout 30

Windows Legacy OS Loader
------------------------
identifier {ntldr}
device partition=D:
path \ntldr
description Earlier Version of Windows

Windows Boot Loader
-------------------
identifier {current}
device partition=C:
path \Windows\system32\winload.exe
description Windows 7
locale en-US
inherit {bootloadersettings}
recoverysequence {fec161aa-6a08-11de-b629-c2fd5b79872b}
recoveryenabled Yes
osdevice partition=C:
systemroot \Windows
resumeobject {fec161a8-6a08-11de-b629-c2fd5b79872b}
nx OptIn

C:\Windows\system32>Diskpart

Microsoft DiskPart version 6.1.7100
Copyright (C) 1999-2008 Microsoft Corporation.
On computer: GARY-PC

DISKPART> lis disk

Disk ### Status Size Free Dyn Gpt
-------- ------------- ------- ------- --- ---
Disk 0 Online 465 GB 1024 KB
Disk 1 Online 232 GB 1024 KB

DISKPART> sel disk 0

Disk 0 is now the selected disk.

DISKPART> detail disk

ST350063 0AS SCSI Disk Device
Disk ID: C355364E
Type : SCSI
Path : 0
Target : 0
LUN ID : 0
Location Path : PCIROOT(0)#PCI(0C00)#SCSI(P00T00L00)
Current Read-only State : No
Read-only : No
Boot Disk : Yes
Pagefile Disk : Yes
Hibernation File Disk : No
Crashdump Disk : Yes
Clustered Disk : No

Volume ### Ltr Label Fs Type Size Status Info
---------- --- ----------- ----- ---------- ------- --------- --------
Volume 1 D Seagate500 NTFS Partition 433 GB Healthy System
Volume 2 C Windows7 NTFS Partition 32 GB Healthy Boot

DISKPART> exi

Leaving DiskPart...

C:\Windows\system32>

MMMM - Well at this point Im unhappy about what the software has done so to reinstall it is not my preferred route. I had a quick look at the software after i uninstalled and it didn't seem easy user friendly - which is why i uninstalled . I assume i have to install this first in win7?

Alternatively how can i repair what has already happened?

Thanks

The very point of EasyBCD is to make it easy to configure the Vista/Windows 7 bootloader (and with recent builds you can easily dual-boot with XP and newer versions of Linux). To configure the setup manually without EasyBCD is much much harder, typing in dozens of bcdedit commands into the command prompt and configuring boot.ini/placing the boot files for XP in the correct place.

EasyBCD is NOT the bootloader, but rather a configuration utility for it. You seem to be getting the two confused, and EasyBCD does not do anything to the bootloader configuration without your permission or action. If you are having problems you didn't have prior to installing EasyBCD that are bootloader specific you might have changed settings accidently without realizing what you were doing. If its a problem in Windows itself we need more detail to pin point an error and fix it.

Hi Gary,

Try going into XP Safe Mode, then Start>All Programs>Accessories>System Tools>System Restore.

Choose a restore point created at an earlier date - when you could boot in fine -then click Next.

Assuming that works - to set XP as default instead of 7 - boot into 7 - open your old friend the elevated cmd prompt, type:

bcdedit /default {ntldr}

press enter.

Hope it helps

Last edited:
Back