Cant boot XP with vista !

1) Can you copy Autoexec .bat, config.sys, io.sys and MSDOS.sys back into the XP partition root where they should be.
2) Can you confirm that Vista is marked "system" and "active" and that NTLDR ntdetect.com and boot.ini are in Vista's root
3) Is boot.ini pointing to partition 3 (or 2 if that doesn't work)
4) When you installed XP initially, before you repaired the Vista boot, did XP boot successfully by itself ?

1. from where shld i copy these files ?
2. yes vista i marked as system and active n these 3 files r in vista root.
3. actually now is sth like this cuz when the problem occured after that i opened easyBCD n removed windows XP from the booting so i got sth like this now when when i restart my lappy i get 3 options to choose . :S
Windows Boot Manager
--------------------
identifier {9dea862c-5cdd-4e70-acc1-f32b344d4795}
device boot
description Windows Boot Manager
locale en-US
inherit {7ea2e1ac-2e61-4728-aaa3-896d9d0a9f0e}
default {d9fea02e-7374-11dd-ad38-9b7a7727dcb9}
resumeobject {5919daa6-7842-11dd-8077-806e6f6e6963}
displayorder {d9fea00f-7374-11dd-ad38-9b7a7727dcb9}
{660664ef-10fe-11dd-81ba-dea78355781d}
{b2721d73-1db4-4c62-bf78-c548a880142d}
{d9fea02e-7374-11dd-ad38-9b7a7727dcb9}
toolsdisplayorder {b2721d73-1db4-4c62-bf78-c548a880142d}
timeout 30

Windows Boot Loader
-------------------
identifier {d9fea00f-7374-11dd-ad38-9b7a7727dcb9}
device partition=D:
path \windows\system32\boot\winload.exe
description Windows Recovery Environment (recovered)
osdevice partition=D:
systemroot \windows
detecthal Yes
winpe Yes

Resume from Hibernate
---------------------
identifier {660664ef-10fe-11dd-81ba-dea78355781d}
device boot
path \Windows\system32\winresume.exe
description Windows Resume Application
locale en-US
inherit {1afa9c49-16ab-4a5c-901b-212802da9460}
filedevice partition=C:
filepath \hiberfil.sys
pae Yes
debugoptionenabled No

Windows Memory Tester
---------------------
identifier {b2721d73-1db4-4c62-bf78-c548a880142d}
device boot
path \boot\memtest.exe
description Windows Memory Diagnostic
locale en-US
inherit {7ea2e1ac-2e61-4728-aaa3-896d9d0a9f0e}
badmemoryaccess Yes

Windows Boot Loader
-------------------
identifier {d9fea02e-7374-11dd-ad38-9b7a7727dcb9}
device partition=C:
path \Windows\system32\winload.exe
description Windows Vista (TM) Home Premium (recovered)
osdevice partition=C:
systemroot \Windows
resumeobject {5919daa6-7842-11dd-8077-806e6f6e6963}

4. yes it did boot successfully.

thx buddy
i hope u can help me .

They're presently in C:\ with Vista, but should be in the XP root.

incidentally, I don't own a mobile phone and I don't speak text, so I've no idea what your point 3 means.

Last edited:
They're presently in C:\ with Vista, but should be in the XP root.

incidentally, I don't own a mobile phone and I don't speak text, so I've no idea what your point 3 means.
sorry thats my bad english .
so shld i copy those files from C: drive to D: drive or move those files to D: drive?

can u plz explain this
3) Is boot.ini pointing to partition 3 (or 2 if that doesn't work) ?
if u r talking abt boot.ini file its same as b4 like this.

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect

thx dude.

It's safest to copy, they're so small they won't take up much space leaving copies behind. You can always clean up later when you've got the dual boot working if you're really fussy.
That copy of boot.ini is correct to point at partition 2. Vista disk management is unfortunately not reliable enough just to count along the partitions and asume that the 1st is number 1 etc, so try booting with partition set to 3 if 2 doesn't work.

It's safest to copy, they're so small they won't take up much space leaving copies behind. You can always clean up later when you've got the dual boot working if you're really fussy.
That copy of boot.ini is correct to point at partition 2. Vista disk management is unfortunately not reliable enough just to count along the partitions and asume that the 1st is number 1 etc, so try booting with partition set to 3 if 2 doesn't work.
hey hey hey i m really thankful to u bro.
u have no idea bro how much this mean to me and i cant find a way how to repay u this.
u solved my problem i troubled u a lot but u still helped me thx a lot.

n ya i changed it to partition 3 then only it worked . :smile: :smile:
n copy those files n the ntldr , NTDETECT and boot.ini files also . :grinning:

thx a lot...........

Addendum:

and ya i would like to ask u 1 more question
is it safe to install XP sp3 now after dual booting?
cuz i have read in some fourms that after doing dual booting process if u install services pack 3 on XP so the dual booting thing will b messed up or i think u cant dual boot
is it ture?
or u can give me any instruction to install xp sp3.
thx

Last edited:
If you already know both OSes are booting correctly before you start the upgrade, then yes. I for one didn't experience any problems, but that's what you got us here for in case there are any :smile:

Glad it's fixed now.
I dual boot Vista 64bit with XP 32bit. When I put SP1 on Vista, it overwrote the bootmgr, which wouldn't cause most people a problem, but did mess me up because I use HnS, which had to be fixed afterwards.
When I put SP3 on XP it caused me no problems at all.

Hey I've just had the exact same problem and thanks to this thread I can dual-boot vista and xp now!:grinning:
It was pretty hard to understand all this, so i'll summarize:

It is common that Laptops are preinstalled with Vista, but the Vista install CD is not provided (instead, the manufacturer includes a hidden recovery partition containing the factory-default image of C:/ drive with vista installed)
- so the following guides won't get through this 100%, because they require the Vista CD at some point:
http://www.syschat.com/dual-boot-vista-xp-vista-already-1946.html
http://apcmag.com/how_to_dual_boot_...talled_first__the_stepbystep_guide.htm?page=1

0) Prerequisites: You have Vista installed on C drive, there are no other partitions. You have latest version of easyBCD(installer will install on both xp and vista), [FONT=&quot]installer for the Microsoft .NET 2.0 Framework,[/FONT][FONT=&quot] [/FONT]and XP drivers for your laptop (soundcard, vga card, bluetooth, etc). Your BIOS is set to boot from CD/DVD drive before booting from Hard drive.
You also have a winxp install disc, but
* If your HardDisk is SATA, windowsXP will not run on it without SATA drivers. Most retail versions of XP does not come with SATA drivers, let alone SP3. You can't install SATA drivers from within XP, because XP won't run on your SATA drive in the first place. You must get the SATA drivers to install DURING installation of XP, by creating an XP installation disc which has the SATA drivers slipstreamed into it via the program Nlite. If your XP installation disc already contains SATA drivers, no need to use Nlite.
1) Use Vista's disk management (right-click myComputer icon>manage>diskManagement) to shrink C by the size of what you want the xp partition to be (right-click C partition>shrink), and create simple partition D: on the unallocated space (right-click D partition> new simple partition). Creating D using other methods may result in D: not being a primary partition but a logical partition.
2) Insert XP install disc, restart computer. Install XP to D partition, go through the install process as you normally would.
3) Before the XP installation is complete, there would be at least 1 time you will be able to see the XP environment. Upon the next restart, the computer may either automatically boot into XP or Vista without showing you a boot menu. So use this chance while you are in the XP environment to install easyBCD onto XP.
4) Once in EasyBCD (running in XP), go to the "Manage Bootloader" page, and select "Reinstall the Vista Bootloader" then "Write MBR". On the "Add/Remove Entries" page and select "Windows NT/2k/XP/2003" from the drop-down list, give it a name "Windows XP", then press "Add Entry" to finish.
5) install neccessary laptop drivers for XP (video, sound, etc), one of which will prompt you to restart. Restart.
6) Problem! The computer boots to Vista without a boot menu showing Vista or XP. Use this time to install easyBCD onto Vista.
7) To play safe, have copies of Autoexec .bat, config.sys, io.sys and MSDOS.sys, NTLDR ntdetect.com, and boot.ini, in both the root folders of C and D. Some are originally found in C, some are found in D, not all are needed in C, not all are needed in D. just make C and D have them all.
8) on easyBCD (running on Vista), go to "change settings", make sure both Vista and XP from the drop-down menu are both set to C. Make sure boot.ini points to partition 2 or 3 (try either one, whichever works).

On the next restart, I was able to see a bootloader screen!

Next things to do:
Tweak the drive letters: http://www.vista4beginners.com/Change-drive-letters-dual-boot-configuration
Finish installing all drivers for XP
Tweak XP: http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=81828
Tweak Vista: http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=166532
Create backup images of these smooth-functioning-fresh-installs of XP and Vista partitions.

Back