Can't Boot.

Frevrply

I tried to dual boot xp pro x64 on my computer and it just went all wrong.
I installed xp on a seperate partition and after it was done installing, it restarted and i got a bsod :rage:.. Now, I can't boot xp or boot regularly to vista... Also, I tried going on the recovery console to edit the bootloader and i can't get in because the password is wrong ( I have no administrator password ) Is there any way i can boot regularly to vista again? Thanks in advance -

Terry60

Knows where his towel is.
Staff member
Boot your Vista DVD (or our recovery disk if you don't have one)
"repair your computer" (bottom left)
"startup repair"
Do the above 3 times in total and Vista should be booting again.

G

Gegirm

Cant Boot

I think I found the problem. After trial and error, disconnecting different drives I tried disconnecting the primary HD and it allowed me to boot from the DVD drive. So it appears the primary HD is bad or corrupt. Is there some way I can test the HD to see if it is bad?

Terry60

Knows where his towel is.
Staff member
Go to the Manufacturer's website. They generally have a "drive fitness" utility available for free download. (Quite often written only to function with their own hardware, but you might be lucky to get a universal tool from another OEM)

You can also (if you don't want to save the contents) just do a full format (not quick) of the HDD and it will remove all bad blocks from use.
If you want the contents (whatever's savable), run a chkdsk /r against the disk

Last edited: