Can't Get Recover Xp After Vista Install Please Help

about a month ago i installed windows vista beta 2 over windows xp home edtion. im pretty sure it was a clean install, i followed all the recomended options when installing windows vista. I've read most of the other posts but i still don't know where to start im kind of a rookie at this, any help at all would be greatly appreciated

mqudsi

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
To find out if it's a clean post:

The programs you installed on XP, are they still installed?

If it is, use this guide: http://neosmart.net/blog/archives/188

Good luck, and welcome to NeoSmart Technologies! :grinning:

mqudsi

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
If you were unfortunate enough to upgrade then there is no going back. Sorry! :frowning:

mqudsi

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
yep, but you could also format and give Vista as a clean install a shot.

Mak 2.0

Mod...WAFFLES!?!?
Staff member
Well the upgrade would require you to have an older version of Windows in order to upgrade to XP. Like Windows 2000 or before.

I would have to ask if you bought this PC from somewhere like Dell or HP? If so you should have gotten a disc with your PC that would allow you to install XP again. If not you can contact them to get a disc to install XP again so you dont have to buy XP again.

mqudsi

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Well, in the absense of the license, you're going to have to buy a new XP disc. An upgrade disc will work.

Mak 2.0

Mod...WAFFLES!?!?
Staff member
there is a Vista Upgrade disc work-around. It is long and complicated. Basically it involves installing twice. Who wants to do that.

Mak 2.0

Mod...WAFFLES!?!?
Staff member
If you have your serial just get a copy of XP that goes with it and install it.