Can't Install wubildr.mbr for Linux Mint 11

cvhyphus

Hi All,

I'm trying to set up a dual-boot for Windows 7 and Linux Mint, with Linux Mint being installed on the Windows file system (like Wubi for Ubuntu), but the installer will not add a new boot record. I can't see any way to add this C:\wubildr.mbr file to the boot options with Easy BCD 2.1.1; the only option that seems close is the grub/Wubi option, but that installs something from NeoSmart which doesn't work. Is there really no way to add a custom .mbr file with this product (which is what I was hoping for when I bought this a few hours ago).

I've been looking for a while now for some decent documentation for the bcdedit.exe tool (eventually deciding to give this product a try), and I still just don't see what I need to do it via the command line, but it's looking like its my only option after all if this product isn't flexible enough (which I still can't believe yet). I thought of trying copying webildr.mbr over that file in the NST directory, but I'm concerned that an update would overwrite it. This product was good for removing old boot items, but if that's all I can do than it wasn't worth the money.

So what can I do?

Thanks.

The only reason you would have to buy EsyBCD is if you were to use it for commercial use. For private use EasyBCD is free.

To answer your question, I do not believe there is any product out there that will allow you to add a custom mbr entry to the BCD. If I am not mistaken, that option isnt even available to do with the BCD by default when it was created by Microsoft. EasyBCD is just a graphical representation of the BCD Tool created by Microsoft. You can only do within EasyBCD, what you could do with the BCD tool. So if you cant add a custom mbr entry using the command line tool, I dont think you can using EasyBCD.

EasyBCD is just a graphical representation of the BCD Tool created by Microsoft. You can only do within EasyBCD, what you could do with the BCD tool. So if you cant add a custom mbr entry using the command line tool, I dont think you can using EasyBCD.

Alex, I'm happy to say that this is almost entirely not the case any longer. Of EasyBCD's hundreds of features, only a couple dozen or so basic offerings are available via plane-Jane commandline bcdedit scripting. There's a *lot* of heavy lifting in EasyBCD under the hood, I just work really hard to keep it tucked away and behaving properly; though it can be a bit difficult to balance a lot of power and functionality with an intuitive UI that doesn't overburden the user.

Back