Change Boot drive fixed in BIOS - Envy 17

Just a quick question - it is my understanding from threads in notebookreview forum that on the new Envy 2012, when adding an msata drive, the computer automatically defaults to the msata as a boot drive. Changing the boot order in the BIOS does not change this behaviour. Could EasyBSD be able to be configured to point to a drive bay as the default boot drive with the msata installed?

My guess is that the EasyBSD bootloader would have to be installed on the msata MBR. But I'm unsure how you would do this if you cannot boot up from any other device with the msata installed?

I'm yet to receive my envy so am unable to experiment at the present time.

EasyBCD just configures the contents of the BCD.
The BCD is only referenced at boot time by the Vista/7/8 bootmgr program
That in turn is invoked by the MBR Initial Program Loader.
The MBR is located by the BIOS referring to its stored boot priority information, which the user can normally set.
Dell e.g. doesn't seem to want the user to be able to change the HDD boot sequence for reasons I can't fathom (perhaps they think that only idiots buy their products ? ) I don't know that HP stops you setting what you want in the BIOS.
If you're correct and an msata drive grabs pole position in the boot sequence, then it won't cause a problem if that's not where your OS resides, unless it contains another bootable OS. If there's nothing bootable on the drive the BIOS will simply skip to the next in the queue until it finds an MBR to chain to.

EasyBCD just configures the contents of the BCD.
The BCD is only referenced at boot time by the Vista/7/8 bootmgr program
That in turn is invoked by the MBR Initial Program Loader.
The MBR is located by the BIOS referring to its stored boot priority information, which the user can normally set.
Dell e.g. doesn't seem to want the user to be able to change the HDD boot sequence for reasons I can't fathom (perhaps they think that only idiots buy their products ? ) I don't know that HP stops you setting what you want in the BIOS.
If you're correct and an msata drive grabs pole position in the boot sequence, then it won't cause a problem if that's not where your OS resides, unless it contains another bootable OS. If there's nothing bootable on the drive the BIOS will simply skip to the next in the queue until it finds an MBR to chain to.

Thanks, but according to the thread below, when the msata is installed, it will try and boot from it and if it can't, it will display an error saying that no OS is found and not try other drives? BIOS definitely locked down.

HP Envy 17 (32XXXX) How do you bypass mSATA drive?

Thanks. According to the link below, the Envy will only try to boot from the msata if installed and if an OS is not found it will report an error message "missing operating system" and will not try to boot from other drives?

HP Envy 17 (32XXXX) How do you bypass mSATA drive?

Last edited by a moderator:
Back