Changing Boot Drive using EasyBCD, need help setting primary partition

JT Edwards

Recently completed a clean install of Windows 10 onto a replacement HDD and noticed that Win put the System Reserved partition onto my SSD cache drive (which drives me up the wall). So now it shows up in my directory tree as an additional drive and I'd like to move it to the HDD with EasyBCD. However, I get the error that the partition I am selecting on the C: drive is a logical drive and not a primary partition.

I planned to use MiniTool Partition Wizard to fix this but want to make sure I'm doing the right thing before any buttons are pressed.

Here is a screenshot of my Disk Management:

YBxar4K.png

And here's a screenshot of my MTPW:

qlhxeTa.png

The question is which partition should I select on the C drive to make Primary and does it matter that there's one listed as 'Active and Boot' already on the C drive?

Thanks!

I would just use minitool to change the destination partition from logical to primary but don't mess around with any of the active flags - then when that's done, go back to EasyBCD and let it take care of the drive switch for you.

I would just use minitool to change the destination partition from logical to primary but don't mess around with any of the active flags - then when that's done, go back to EasyBCD and let it take care of the drive switch for you.
Thank you for your reply. Yes gather that's what I should do, but which destination partition in the example above do I select on Disk 1, the C drive?

It can be whichever you want. Some people have it on the Windows partition while others prefer a separate boot partition.
Going by your layout, it should be the 100MiB FAT32 partition. In that case, you actually don't need to use minitool for anything, just assign that partition a letter then start EasyBCD and select that partition as your new boot partition.

But won't assigning it a drive letter cause it to once again show up in the directory tree? Or will the fact it's a boot drive mean it will remain invisible?

EDIT: Never mind, I gave it a try and do not see the drive letter showing up in the directory tree. I made the changes using EasyBCD, am I able to delete the System Reserved portion of the SSD now and expand its main partition?

Last edited:
Back