Cloned windows 7 64 bit system won't boot

jmerritt

I recently installed a new 1 TB SATA drive, used EaseUs ToDo Backup to clone the Windows 7 system from drive C: to my new SATA drive F: I then used EasyBCD Backup/Repair option to set the new boot partition on F: I want to keep my original Windows 7 IDE drive C: and format it later once I get the new Windows 7 SATA Drive F: system to work. I changed my BIOS info to boot from the new F: drive Windows 7 but the boot hangs in the BIOS ASUS title screen and never boots. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

John

When you clone Vista/7, you must run startup repair from the booted DVD three times to fix the boot files.
(The cloned BCD contains information describing the old location which does not match its new physical location.)

I cloned XP Vista and W7 to new places (and larger partitions) when I upgraded my second IDE HDD to a big SATA and did a musical-chairs shuffle.
All were fine.
The only problem I had was with Ubuntu which I couldn't get to boot after the move, so I just reinstalled it because it contains no user stuff at all.
I'm currently downloading W8 which will steal the Ubuntu partition. (I'll run Linux live if I ever need it)

Last edited:
Terry, so do I just need to do repair from the DVD or do I need to enter CMD at any point to make repairs? Also, I assume I boot the DVD after setting BIOS to point to my new cloned Windows 7 drive?

John

Best temporarily disconnect any other HDD, and boot your DVD and run "startup repair" (three times) with only the cloned OS visible.

I cloned XP Vista and W7 to new places (and larger partitions) when I upgraded my second IDE HDD to a big SATA and did a musical-chairs shuffle.
All were fine.
The only problem I had was with Ubuntu which I couldn't get to boot after the move, so I just reinstalled it because it contains no user stuff at all.
I'm currently downloading W8 which will steal the Ubuntu partition. (I'll run Linux live if I ever need it)

Thanks for that - I'll file it away in my mental drawer, because at the moment there's just a big question mark in my head whenever easy fixes for cloning comes up.

Back