cloneing question / issue

If I had a PC running XP, and I create a second partition and clone an installation of Win7 onto that partition

- how can I use EasyBcd to install the vista/7 bootloader so I might have the option of booting xp /

Do I need to install the boot loader to C: (xp) or D: (Win7) ?

Where is this clone coming from ?
If it's from a different PC it won't work on the new partition.
Its internal description of its environment and the drivers for the mobo, graphics etc will all be incorrect.
MS anti-piracy will also prevent it from being updated without re-validation, which will also automatically mark the original (donor) PC as now being invalid. (two copies of the same OS cannot exist under one serial number under the EULA).
If the donor PC came with W7 pre-installed, it will have an OEM serial, and can never be transferred to any other hardware than the original PC with which it was supplied.
We will not assist with any attempt at piracy on this site.
If you have a genuine W7 DVD and a licence, just install W7 to the new partition and it should automatically detect XP and dual-boot for you.

Terry, thanks for the reply.

Nothing dodgy about this, its for copying onto many Dell pc's of exactly the same spec / model.
They PC's autheticate against a KMS / using different PC names (which are changed after each clone)

I ended up fixing this using the Windows 7 / repair mode - as EasyBCD refused to install the Visa/7 bootloader.

Thanks anyway

Where is this clone coming from ?
If it's from a different PC it won't work on the new partition.
Its internal description of its environment and the drivers for the mobo, graphics etc will all be incorrect.
MS anti-piracy will also prevent it from being updated without re-validation, which will also automatically mark the original (donor) PC as now being invalid. (two copies of the same OS cannot exist under one serial number under the EULA).
If the donor PC came with W7 pre-installed, it will have an OEM serial, and can never be transferred to any other hardware than the original PC with which it was supplied.
We will not assist with any attempt at piracy on this site.
If you have a genuine W7 DVD and a licence, just install W7 to the new partition and it should automatically detect XP and dual-boot for you.

No disrespect intended Cheez, just being careful.
Glad you're sorted.
Were you using EasyBCD 2.0 latest build ?
1.7 pre-dates W7 and therefore doesn't properly support it.
2.0 should have worked fine.
CG will be interested in details of any failure.
Did you use Easy2 > bootloader setup > install Vista/7 bootloader ?

Back