Computer repair menu disappeared with F8

MiNa

I have 2 Windows 7 partitions with 2 Windows 7 operating systems. When I delete the 2 boot entries with EasyBCD and create them new, then when I boot, select an operating system and hit key F8, the first menu element ("Computer repair") is gone. How can I recreate it. The repair mechanism of the Windows Installation DVD does no longer find anything to repair. It looks like that EasyBCD has erased the line with recovery...

Any ideas?

Thank you and best regards
MiNa

There's no "Repair" option in the F8 extended boot menu of W7, but your OEM may have used a facility to customize the menu
http://download.microsoft.com/download/9/c/5/9c5b2167-8017-4bae-9fde-d599bac8184a/OEMBoot_Vista.doc
Are you still using the BCD from the original installation or are you booting from a different HDD/BCD ?
You might have removed the custom boot when you dual-booted another W7.
You should be able to add a BCD entry for your recovery partition, but I'll leave it to others to advise you on the details, never having needed to do so because I build my own systems.

Thank you for your quick response. Unfortunatly there is a menu line called "repair your computer" in a native Windows installation (nothing todo with an OEM) which gives you the Windows 7 recovery menu in the same way as with the Windows 7 installation disk to repair the BCD. This menu points to a hidden directory within the partition called "recovery". pls. see also http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Advanced-startup-options-including-safe-mode.

MiNa

That is under the Advanced Boot Menu. That is not part of the normal boot menu. To achieve the Advanced Boot Menu when dual booting you have to select the OS of choice and right away hit F8 to get this menu. You can have it on the selector screen and hit F8 as you did not select an OS to start booting.

I think that is where the confusion comes in. Select the OS, then hit F8 right away. You will get this Advanced Boot Menu. It cant be added to the Menu Selection Screen that you seen when you select the OS's.

Yes, I know. I have no problem to get to this menu but the first element is missing: repair your computer. EasyBCD has deleted it. How can I restore it?
MiNa

Read the link you sent me

"Shows a list of system recovery tools you can use to repair startup problems, run diagnostics, or restore your system. This option is available only if the tools are installed on your computer's hard disk. If you have a Windows installation disc, the system recovery tools are located on the installation disc."

It was put there by the OEM as part of their recovery process. It's not a part of a standard Windows installation if you install it from a retail MS DVD.

I think that Terry is right and your PC Manufacturer put this on there themselves as it is not included in my Advanced Boot Menu by default. My Advanced Boot Menu is:

Safe Mode
Safe Mode with Networking
Safe Mode with Command Prompt

Enable Boot Logging
Enable low resolution video (640x480)
Last Known Good Configuration
Directory Services Restore Mode
Debugging Mode
Disable Automatic Restart on System Failure
Disable Driver Signature Enforcement

Start Windows Normally

Those are the options present on the default Advanced Boot Menu.

Thank you for the explanation. Now I understand the issue. My original Microsoft Window7 32 Bit and 64 Bit OEM version installs that menu point in the advanced boot menu. I have German Windows versions. EasyBCD deletes the entry.

I found an example in the internet since my entries are gone.

Windows Boot Manager
--------------------
identifier {bootmgr}
device partition=\Device\HarddiskVolume1
description Windows Boot Manager
locale en-US
inherit {globalsettings}
default {default}
resumeobject {f91df9c2-df1c-11dd-b1bc-c8fc28aa92c6}
displayorder {current}
{default}
toolsdisplayorder {memdiag}
timeout 30

Windows Boot Loader
-------------------
identifier {current}
device partition=C:
path \Windows\system32\winload.exe
description Windows 7
locale en-US
inherit {bootloadersettings}
recoverysequence {f91df9c4-df1c-11dd-b1bc-c8fc28aa92c6}
recoveryenabled Yes
osdevice partition=C:
systemroot \Windows
resumeobject {f91df9c2-df1c-11dd-b1bc-c8fc28aa92c6}
nx OptIn

The elements regarding recovery in the last section are giving this menu point and are no longer existing when EasyBCD is adding a Windows 7 partition.

MiNa

Back