Connection problem

I just got a new Toshiba Satellite computer with vista , and I can only go to certain websites. When I attempt to view other websites I recieve internet explorer cannot display the webpage and when i run the diagnose connetion problem I recieve the following message " www.___.com is not set up to establish a connection on port world wide web service (HTTP) with this computer.

If I use the other computer in the house I am able to get to the website, so I know it is not a problem with the website.

Can someone please help me. I would like to go on the internet with the new computer.

Thank you

Hi jscalia, welcome to NST.
It sounds like the firewall installed on your new PC is being over restrictive.
Try opening its control interface and look to see if it's somehow restricting the browser.

Ty Terry, I'm not quite sure how to do that. I went to my firewall and there were alot of options in there and I didn't want to mess the whole thing up .

Jenn

What firewall are you using?
If someone else on here is using the same one, they might be able to guide you.

<shakes head> I just don't understand why manufactures insist on installing trial versions of Norton on new PC's. IMO it is worse than a virus itself. Sorry, but I had a good chuckle when I read your post that your using Norton.

Jenn, my suggestion is to uninstall Norton (hopefully you haven't paid for it yet) and get a free firewall.

I'm assuming your new laptop is running Vista, so will provide some examples of ones that will work with Vista - from Best to Worst

Commodo Firewall
Zone Alarm
PC Tools Pro
AShampoo
Vista Firewall

If you want a good one that you have to pay for, get McAfee.

If you are looking for an Anti-virus and Anti-Spyware scanners I can recommend some as well, just leave a message on here if you do.

Last edited:
I have resolved the problem, I actually called toshiba, because yes I unfortantly paid for norton. The problem was that because I had the identity protection active it would not let me go to certain sites. I have deactivated it and now I can surf away. Please feel free to pass this along to anyone who may encounter this proble.
Thank you all for your help in this matter,

Glad you're happily surfing now Jenn.
When your Norton sub has expired, follow YSbird's advice and get yourself a free firewall.
I use Comodo on Vista because I have x64 and Zone Alarm (which I used on ME and XP) only works on 32bit Vista.
Otherwise I'd probably stick with ZoneAlarm, which I think is very unobtrusive.
(I've never had an infection get through a combination of AVG anti-virus and ZoneAlarm/Comodo firewall in all my years of being online, so paying a regular sub for Norton (which always caused havoc on my sister's PC till I replaced it with the above combo) seems like a bit of a waste.

Back