Corrupt BCD in Vistad

Yes, I changed it back; i was saying i think I did the bcd/createstore on the wrong one before. Should I redo it?
No, just boot off your vista dvd (or our recovery disk if you don't have one), and run Startup Repair 3 times (because it can only fix one thing per pass). And that should add the entries back to the BCD, and configure it correctly.

No, just boot off your vista dvd (or our recovery disk if you don't have one), and run Startup Repair 3 times (because it can only fix one thing per pass). And that should add the entries back to the BCD, and configure it correctly.

I still can't do that. It gives me the same error that it cannot detect the OS:
Problem Signature06: NoOsInstalled. I said that earlier: the choose your OS screen right before system restore, cmd prompt, Startup Repair - ect; doesn't show any OS's.

Should I simply copy the BCD files and copy them to a flash drive and then use cmd prompt and place them into my \boot folder?

I still can't do that. It gives me the same error that it cannot detect the OS:
Problem Signature06: NoOsInstalled. I said that earlier: the choose your OS screen right before system restore, cmd prompt, Startup Repair - ect; doesn't show any OS's.

Should I simply copy the BCD files and copy them to a flash drive and then use cmd prompt and place them into my \boot folder?
Your problem is you have an empty BCD apparently. What your BCD lacks are entries (configured correctly, of course) which will all be stored in that single BCD file.
I hoped Startup Repair would fix that...
Can you try hitting Next anyway despite no OS being shown on that screen? Sometimes this works, and the next time you run Startup Repair, the OS becomes visible.

Your problem is you have an empty BCD apparently. What your BCD lacks are entries (configured correctly, of course) which will all be stored in that single BCD file.
I hoped Startup Repair would fix that...
Can you try hitting Next anyway despite no OS being shown on that screen? Sometimes this works, and the next time you run Startup Repair, the OS becomes visible.

I can actually go to the Startup Repair, and I can get it running but then it say's it has an error and puts out the stupid "OS not found". So I can get past without clicking my os, but the repair will not work due to that fact.

Looks like its time for a reinstall.

Well, haha, yeah that's what kinda happened. To conclude this lengthy post, I eventually got part 4 of this forum's wiki (the Holocaust one) and yeah, it screwed up my machine... Well i think it messed up my partition table and all was fine and dandy but then I deleted Vista Hide 'n Seek. And basically: before with hide 'n seek - I would go to Vista and then go to XP...After hide 'n seek I would go to XP directly. Well obviously i'm a moron and since the Vista hd was messed up, and I lost hide 'n seek....yeah. So I tried recovering anything, tried partition table doctor.... Not much luck :frowning: :frowning: Oh well, I restarted, swore to use an external hd and back up!! {Plus I upgraded to Ultimate...legally!! :angry:) Thanks so much for all your help though!!!! :grinning::grinning:

Hi all I have a similar problem, I have 6 hard drives, 4 in a raid 0 (2x80 gb for Vista Ultimate 64 & 2x250 for Applications and Games), 2x500 gb for backup and storage.

The problem I am getting is after every restart/shutdown I get the BCD error. I have to take the 2 500gb backup drives out (disconnect power), then boot from vista disk, repair the errors with 'bootrec/fixmbr, fixboot and rebuildBCD' and then reconnect HD's and everything works till the next boot. I thought I had fixed it a week ago but the errors have started again.

I have used EasyBCD, I have used Vista repairs, but for some reason the BCD is not working after shutdown. Any help would be truly appreciated. Thank you for yours time.

Addendum:

More information, I have just gone through the repairs again and left all the drives connected. I now notice that C: and D: drives are not there? (I presume that C: & D: are my DVD drives? When they are set to Y and Z in Vista) My Vista is on E: yet once in Vista all drives showing in the right place i.e. Vista C:\. I went into E:\ (under the Vista Repair program) and bootrec/Fix... but it failed on the fixboot and rebuildBCD. I have tried EasyBCD again then gone back into Vista repair and the same issue still stands. Has anyone got a good idea please.

Thank you for your time.

Last edited:
Hello Horus,

Drive letters are specific to the individual system and how it wants to label them. As long as you've got your OS drives first with Vista's partition active and done a repair it should continue to boot as expected. If not and you must continue to fix everytime you boot the computer, something else is possibly wrong here, like malware that may be causing it.

If you don't allocate specific letters to specific drives yourself, the OS will assign them in the order it locates them at PnP. They will look as if the lettering is permanent as long as the hardware configuration is unaltered, but the moment you disconnect anything, the detection order will change and so will the drive letters.
Use disk management to make permanent assignations, and the system will detect the drive, find its UID in the registry and give it the letter you assigned regardless of the detection sequence.

Back