Could someone please check these settings? :)

TKR99

Hi all
First post & hopefully my only one :lol:. I currently have 3 drives in my PC - one with Win 7, the 2nd with XP & other partitions, & the 3rd purely data.

I recently had transferred the contents of the XP drive which was originally 500 Gb onto a 1 Tb drive & therein started my problems. From the moment I moved the OS, it just wouldn't work for anything & twice pulled all the letters off the rest of the partitions when I tried reinstalling it. BUT perserverance & a good reformat soon got a fresh copy back on again. Unfortunately the only problem was, that while I'd remembered the first couple of times to disconnect the Win 7 drive, sadly I totally forgot on the last install, with the inevitable result that Win 7 wouldn't load & kept throwing up errors.

SO, I sorted that out with the Recovery Console & all returned to normal except that now I can load up Win 7 but not XP, even if I do F11 to force it by selecting its drive.

EasyBCD to the rescue. I discovered that Win 7 was the only OS in the bootloader so have added in XP & am just keen to know if I've set it up correctly. Win 7 is on the C partition & XP on D (when in Win 7). I want Win 7 to be the default.

Here's the bootloader info as it stands:

There are a total of 2 entries listed in the bootloader.

Default: Windows 7
Timeout: 15 seconds
EasyBCD Boot Device: C:\

Entry #1
Name: Windows 7
BCD ID: {current}
Drive: C:\
Bootloader Path: \Windows\system32\winload.exe

Entry #2
Name: Win XP
BCD ID: {617d4947-3f00-11e1-96cf-83d9a9eaecb1}
Drive: D:\
Bootloader Path: \NST\ntldr

Thanks for your help.
TKR99

Let EasyBCD auto-configure the XP entry and don't alter it.
The BCD doesn't point to the XP drive. It points to the files that point to the XP drive.

Thanks so much for the info Terry - I made the appropriate corrections as you suggested and it works a treat :smile:). SO glad to finally get my dual boot functioning again.

Back