CPU Question

Mak 2.0

Mod...WAFFLES!?!?
Staff member
Alright i have gone over this many times in my head. I have a Dimension 8400. Now it is a 3.4 GHZ with HT.

But i want to upgrade. I ahve tried to install 64 Bit but it dont work. It has been a hiwle (Like BIOS revision 1a) that i have tried and since then I see on teh Dell Forums that they have added 64 Bit support.

Now i have gone thru various google searches, sites and the Dell site. It seems that i can switch the CPU out for a 6X2 series chip. I am guessing that in 90nm technology??

So my biggest question is can a find anything that will work for me?

My sites of reference are:

http://www.dellcommunity.com/supportforums/board/message?board.id=dim_upghw&message.id=95929&query.id=198246&c=us&l=en&cs=&s=gen
DELL dimension 8400

So if this is correct i can get a Intel Dual Core as long as it has 800MHz front Bus? Like this one here:

Intel Core 2 Duo E4500 Processor BX80557E4500 - 2.20GHz, 2MB Cache, 800MHz FSB, Allendale, Dual Core, Retail, Socket 775, Processor with Fan at TigerDirect.com

If you could help me out wise Guru...I am lost...:??

Intel Prescott 550 HT 800 MHz FSB

Socket 775 LGA

I know those off hand. I looked at CPUz so many times that i have it memorized now. :lol:

I don't think the E4500 will work - it's a 65nm wafer.

I THINK you need a single-core, LGA 775 CPU - in other words, a Pentium 4. If you can get me the mobo model though (should be in CPU-Z) as well, I can be sure if it supports the Core Duo or not.

These will work though:
Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, Digital Cameras and more!

But, all those on NewEgg are less than 3.4...... so you'll get less performance.

If your motherboard only supports a P4 processor, then you should honestly spend 60 dollars on a new dual-core capable motherboard and get a Core2, it'll be a HUGE performance difference.
Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, Digital Cameras and more!

Newegg.com - Intel Pentium 4 640 Prescott 3.2GHz 2MB L2 Cache LGA 775 Processor - Retail

That is most likely the CPU that i can use. I know that being a Dell that i wont be able to use the 6X1 line since it isnt compatible with my mobo. Only thing is that CPUz only says it is a Dell 07U077 model. Which doesnt say much.

If anything i would go for this motherboard:

Newegg.com - Intel BLKDG965RYCK LGA 775 Intel G965 Express ATX Intel Motherboard - OEM

Only cause it has the PCIe for my video card and the DDR2 that i currently use.

See from what i get of that article it points me toward getting 64 Bit. Since i do have more than 2GB of RAM. Plus i know at least with 64 Bit i will be ready for the future. From what i remember M$ said Window 7 will be 64 Bit. But i have also read that they have retracted taht saying they will support 32 Bit as well.

As for the slower speed. It is only 200MHz. It wont make that much of a difference. But you are right. I will be waiting till i can get the money together for a new mobo. Then i can get a nice C2D and get a nice setup altogether.

The ideal mobo would be one that supports my RAM. DDR2 @ 533 MHz (PC4200) has at least 6 SATA spots on teh mobo, PCIe for my video card and i would like to find a mobo that has 2 IDE channels as well so i can run dual DVD ROM's and Dual DVD DL Burners. But that last one looks like it wont happen.

Other than that some nice Dual Gigabyte Ethernet would be nice as well. But not necessary. SLi would also be nice but not necessary. Sound most mobo's come with 5,1 or 7.1 onboard which will be nice. I have a 5.1 Logitech system. If not i have a Audigy 2 ZS that i can still use.

That pretty much sums it up. So if you have any other thoughts that would be great CG.

Addendum:

I forgot to mention that space will not be a issue. I just got this case ordered and it should be here in the next couple of days.

Newegg.com - APEVIA X-CRUISER-BK Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail

Last edited:
Get a P35-based mobo, either ASUS or Gigabyte. Both have DDR2 support, are GREAT performance, and aren't so totally expensive.

Here is a quick question that i just thought of. If i get Dual Gigabyte Lan on teh mobo does that mean i can hook up 2 Ethernet cabels to my routher and get some extra speed out of my net??

Never thought to ask this before. I jsut wanted Dual Ethernet cause i thought it would be cool to have. Never thought of useing it functionally. Yup. I am a dork. :lol:

Addendum:

Newegg.com - ABIT IP35 Pro LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail

I am guessing that this would be the mobo that i would be most happy with. It has got almost everything i can think of that i should be looking for. Will have to get new RAM i see. Meh it woudl be worth it.

Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GA-X38-DQ6 LGA 775 Intel X38 ATX Ultra Durable 2, Ultra Cooling Intel Motherboard - Retail

That one loks nice as well. But htat has the Intel X-38 Architure.

Last edited:
Only if you purchased two separate modems (cable or DSL) and paid for two separate plans :lol:

Not a dork, just wishful thinking :tongueout:

Seeing as each is 1gbps, and your internet is, what, 5mbps - you don't even need two in the first place :wink: Just get yourself FiOS or something!

Newegg.com - ASUS M2N32-SLI Deluxe Wireless Edition AM2 NVIDIA nForce 590 SLI MCP ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail

I am guessing that this would be the mobo that i would be most happy with. It has got almost everything i can think of that i should be looking for. Will have to get new RAM i see. Meh it woudl be worth it.

So long as it's a DDR2 and not DDR3 rig, it's worth it. DDR3 isn't much faster, but to get 4GB of DDR3 ram, you'll spend more than on the entire rest of your rig! :x :scared:

But that motherboard is an AMD motherboard??? AMD hasn't been on the top of price or performance for the entire past year+

Get the same mobo in Intel flavor, so you can use the Core 2 Duo and later the Penryn without ever needing to upgrade.

Basically, any of these:

And for future Penryn compatibility guaranteed, narrowed down to this list:
(basically, 1600MHz FSB)

Yeah i was searching after i realized that the board i first put up was AMD. I found some others after you already reponded. >.<

Darn i was so hoping i could get some more speed. I am getting FiOS before the new year. They are almost don putting up the system here.

Only if you purchased two separate modems (cable or DSL) and paid for two separate plans :lol:

Not a dork, just wishful thinking :tongueout:

Seeing as each is 1gbps, and your internet is, what, 5mbps - you don't even need two in the first place :wink: Just get yourself FiOS or something!
Now what if i use 2 seperate modems? Hmm. I do wonder if i could use 2 seperate modems and not tell Verizon about it. Interesting. That does stink that i can use just 2 ehternet cables with my router. But my speeds will reach 15MB down and 2MB up real soon. :grinning:

So long as it's a DDR2 and not DDR3 rig, it's worth it. DDR3 isn't much faster, but to get 4GB of DDR3 ram, you'll spend more than on the entire rest of your rig! :x :scared:

But that motherboard is an AMD motherboard??? AMD hasn't been on the top of price or performance for the entire past year+

Get the same mobo in Intel flavor, so you can use the Core 2 Duo and later the Penryn without ever needing to upgrade.

Basically, any of these:

And for future Penryn compatibility guaranteed, narrowed down to this list:
(basically, 1600MHz FSB)

Well i am not worried about going for DDR3 just yet. Nor am i worried about the 1600MHz FSB. That will be later.

But from that first link you gave out i seen this one:

Newegg.com - ASUS P5W DH DELUXE/WIFI-AP LGA 775 Intel 975X ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail

That one is alright. But this one here looks even better.

Newegg.com - ASUS P5N32-E SLI LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 680i SLI ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail

It has SLi support and it also has a extra PCIe 16X slot for a physics card. Now that is nice.

I dont know anymore. I am getting so confused.:??:joy:

Well, Physics cards are dead, no one uses them any more and IIRC most of the new games don't even support them.

Are you planning on getting another graphics card? The first supports CrossFire (ATi's SLI) and the second support nVidia's SLI standard - up to you.

I prefer SLi. I have just had better luck with nVidia cards and will stick with them till ATi can show me something. But for right now i will use my 6800 and get the new cards voer time.

Addendum:

Okay so i will go with that mobo. The Asus with SLi. Now do i have to have my CPU, mobo and RAM all match with FSB?

God i really need to read up on my A+ Hardware stuff again....

Last edited:
^ i gots me a asus mobo with SLi ^_^

i love it

i have this:

asus_a8n-sli_premium.jpg

Asus A8N-SLI Premium Socket 939 Motherboard - TrustedReviews

I prefer SLi. I have just had better luck with nVidia cards and will stick with them till ATi can show me something. But for right now i will use my 6800 and get the new cards voer time.

Addendum:

Okay so i will go with that mobo. The Asus with SLi. Now do i have to have my CPU, mobo and RAM all match with FSB?

God i really need to read up on my A+ Hardware stuff again....
No, just the CPU.

I believe all DDR2 RAM will work, as will any Core 2 CPU you choose to use :smile:

Sweet. Taht means i can get a more powerful CPU while still using my slower RAM till i get more $$. Thanks for all the input CG. I appreciate it.^.^

Back