CPU Question

Nice!
~~~~~~~
Hate to complicate matters, but if you're planning on OCing your new rig (Core2 Duo OCs real nice) then go with an Intel chipset instead of nVidia.

I wont be overclocking it at all. First i dont like to OC anythign but my Video Card. As that is a simple install of RivaTuner. The other can only be done in the BIOS which honestly i dont really care for messing with. Last thing i want to do is OC and thrash the system.

Addendum:

So you are saying that if i wanted to OC i should go with a board like this:

Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3P Rev 2.0 LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Ultra Durable 2, Ultra Cooling Intel Motherboard - Retail

It has the P35 Chipset. Which makes it not that expensive. It can do C2D along with C2Q. It doesnt have SLi but that is alright. I will just get a 640MB 8800 or the 8800GTX at 768MB. That should be more than enough Video for me. :lol:

Last edited:
Overall what is your opinion. Is the P35 chipset the best one for the value? I see the X38 chipsets are still quite expensive so i am guessing that is the next gen so to speak for mobo's.

The difference between X38 and P35 in terms of performance is completely negligible. In almost all benchmarks and OC testing, both boards come out on top, with little to no difference between them.

Both boards support quad-core, and both boards have support for Penryn. If you're getting a P35, make sure it has full support for the 1333MHz FSB - that's the bare minimum for Penryn. All X38s support 1333MHz FSB by default, so no worries there.

Only benefits an X38 has over a P35:
  1. 2x PCI-E x16, full speed. So you get better SLI or CrossFire, but not by too much.
  2. PCI-E 2.0 support. This is a fluff, there are still AGP cards being created, even in DX10 flavors - it's unlikely you're going to have to worry about PCI-E 2.0 for another 5 years or so :smile:
That's pretty much it.

Though I would recommend the Gigabyte P35-DQ6 over the DS3; you get the best performance/price ratio - especially since it's like a 30 USD difference between the two, or something around that. But both are good boards :smile: - and more importantly, both are Penryn compatible, so you'll have plenty of room to expand in the future. Only reason to go with a DQ6 is if you're going to CrossFire.

Well i have searched around an nobody offer the DQ6 board while the DS3 is available. So i will most likely go with that. I am not worried about the whole Dual Vid Card thing. I just want to get the right board. Which i finally think i found with alot of help from you.

Thanks again Guru.

Well i have found a few DQ6 boards but they are all X38 chipset which makes them almost twice as expensive as the P35 ones i am looking at. While they are nice. Jsut dont have the extra $$ to spare right now. This DS3 board is jsut right for the price. Will get that with some tax $$ and then the Processor by my BDay in July. So maybe by next new year i will have that machine up and running. :lol:

Now i am kinda excited. A nice new mobo and a C2Q would be a nice system to run for a while. Hmm. Wonder how this would work on XP. I know tha SP2 addressed the whole 1 CPU thing. Since my CPU actually is recognized as 2. But how would a quad work? that is 4 CPU's. Would you even be able to isntall XP??

God why do i think of such wierd things?

my mobo doesnt support quad core, but i think ill be fine, i dont have money enough for one of those anyways

but for my next upgrade ill be going to athlon 64 X2

AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+ Processor ADA4200DAA5BV - 2.20GHz, 1MB Cache, 1000MHz (2000 MTs) FSB, Manchester, Dual-Core, OEM, Socket 939, Processor at TigerDirect.com

and for once, tiger has a better price then newegg:

Newegg.com - AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+ Manchester 2.2GHz 2 x 512KB L2 Cache Socket 939 Processor - OEM lol ^_^

although its not a big up grade, from 4000+ to 4200+ and its a down grade in ghz, from 2.41 to 2.20ghz but i think that becuase its dual core that it doesnt much matter

but idk

Now i am kinda excited. A nice new mobo and a C2Q would be a nice system to run for a while. Hmm. Wonder how this would work on XP. I know tha SP2 addressed the whole 1 CPU thing. Since my CPU actually is recognized as 2. But how would a quad work? that is 4 CPU's. Would you even be able to isntall XP??

God why do i think of such wierd things?

XP Gold recognized my 3.2GHz HT Northwood P4 as two CPUs - never had a problem with that.

Windows XP Professional shouldn't have a problem seeing your 4 CPU cores. Just don't try to run a dual quad-core Xeon setup :tongueout: - 8 is a bit too much :lol:

Alright so after a chain of events that still baffles me. The wife said i can get the new stuff for my PC. So this is what i was looking at:

Mobo:
Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3P Rev 2.0 LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Ultra Durable 2, Ultra Cooling Intel Motherboard - Retail

This should support my DDR2 RAM along with my SATA HDD's.

CPU:
Newegg.com - Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz 2 x 4MB L2 Cache LGA 775 Quad-Core Processor - Retail

I figure i might as well go big and bad here since this will probably be the last update i get to do for some time. Like till the baby girl is in high school in 10 years.:lol: So i figured this would be the best time to get this since it is a Quad CPU along with 64 Bit compatible. With the 3GB of RAM i will be running this seems to be the smartest option.

Fan:
Newegg.com - ZEROtherm CF800 92mm CPU Cooler - Retail

This looks like one of the best fans i have seen. The reviews are great. I could use some input here on what you think.

Grease:
Newegg.com - ZEROtherm ZT100 thermal grease - Retail

I haev heard Artic Silver is the best. Is it worth the extra $$ to spend on it?

What are you thoughts here Guru?

Yes, you're right, it is a very good system :smile:

SLI... hmm I wonder how much for another 6800, so maybe at some point later you can decide to use SLI. Thats good.

Your system looks like a candy :happy:

Yes the system will be the last major update for quite some time. Possibly the last major update i do period. Considering the little girl is already gonna be 1 there wont be much time for upgrades in the future. So i will upgrade now, then build this machine back up for her to destroy when she starts using a PC. :lol:

The 6800 isnt SLi that i have. IF anything i will get a couple of cards over the next 5 years and run SLi and give this one to my daughter in her machine. Who knows.

All this with my new case i got:

11-144-151-12.jpg

The system will certainly be what i want for a while.

Yeah, go with the nVidia motherboard, that way you can always just spend 80 bucks on a second 6800 whenever you can to get double the performance :smile:

Back