Crash in WinPE (file open requester)

B00ze

Good day.

I was hoping this problem would've been fixed in v2.3, but it is still there. I have added EasyBCD to my WinPE 5.1 (Windows 8.1 Update 1) disk which contains some tools like Ghost etc. I have included all the .NET options (I've included almost all the optional packages). EasyBCD works fine BUT it crashes every time a file requester is opened. It doesn't matter where from (e.g. from the FILE MENU -> Select BCD Store, or from the BCD Backup screen) it always crashes in the same way: Exception 0xE0434352 @ 0x74E8FD78. Apparently all file selections in EasyBCD go through the same routine, and it's not liking WinPE.

Anyone else have the same problem? Can someone from NeoSmart take a look? It seems to me the best place to put EasyBCD is on a WinPE disk; it's unfortunate it doesn't work :frowning:

Thank you.
Best Regards.

No one yet? Seriously, EasyBCD from a booted live system is nice (you can backup your BCD in case of trouble, add SafeMode to the list of OSes, add other OSes if you have them, etc) but having the ability to load a backed-up BCD from WinPE is really important; EasyBCD should not crash when trying to open a File Requester under PE. Can anyone confirm they have the same issue?

There are already open threads about this. Running EasyBCD under WinPE is not officially supported, EasyBCD uses a mix of .NET and Win32 interop with some low-level system calls for its operation to get information about the hardware and drives for dual-boot purposes, it's not easy to just plug it into a virtualized environment and have it work.

Good day, thanks for the response.

I know it's complicated under a "minimized" environment, but you'd be surprised, EasyBCD manages to grab the correct BCD store when it loads, even tho the entire OS resides in RAM it correctly picks-up the BCD that is on disk (at least it appears to do so). I'm amazed it can do this. But the "bug" I'm running into is that the File Requester crashes. Surely this is somewhat simple to fix? I know it's free and I shouldn't complain, but I'd be more than willing to buy it if it worked under PE...

Thank you.
Best Regards,

Back