Created bootable usb on my HDD partition accidentally. Now Unbootable, will EasyBCD Help?

hyt2000

Hi everyone
I was tweaking an old 2009 vaio laptop with Windows vista and core2duo cpu.

Then I accidentally clicked on the "install BCD" button and created bootable usb on my 4th partition of my single physical hdd. Just like the link below and then load bcd store without adding entry.

Of course, now I got an unbootable laptop, With a message...couldn't find boot in \boot\bcd

This happened so suddenly, I don't have any tool or cd but a few usb pen drives, which one of them has live linux mint on it,

How do I fix this using linux? Can I simply change the things like partition active flag back to 1st partition of my HDD from live usb linux.... or it's more serious? As I am kinda new to everything.

I did backup the .bcd files periodically when using easybcd backup, but i have no way to run it in windows vista now.

I realized I have to put the BCD back to or edit BCD on the internal hdd, somehow, from an usb drive booted tool.

Or will an usb drive booted windows10 with easyBCD installed do the job editing the BCD of internal hdd drive?

EasyBCD wont help without a second Windows partition present and in any case it can't repair the Startup or the OS. Scout the Internet for a Vista ISO download equal to the one you already have, (SP1, 2 etc.,), make a bootable disk or thumb drive, and try booting from that selecting Repair Startup as an option. It may have to be run more than once as it only repairs one thing at a time.
Or buy EasyRE from here and again try booting and repair several times: Easy Recovery Essentials: Bootable Windows repair and recovery CD and USB (neosmart.net)

Sorry, I said that from experience with MS ISO's and repair option.
Good to know, thanks.
(Never used EasyRE).

Thanks
I fixed it simply by changing the boot partition flag back to C: drive, the BCD still unchanged in C:

For anyone which clicked on install BCD to your E: or F: internal drive partition your just changed the boot partition flag there.

You can use any bootable USB linux or Windows then Google the commands to change the boot partion flag of your internal HDD back to C: partition. It's not too hard with a little bit of experience.

Back