Creating Dual Boot System with HP Recovery Discs: Problems Galore

gabelogan99

Hello everyone. I have successfully created a dual boot system on my HP Pavilion desktop, a system that I no longer use anymore. I just bought the new dv6-1259dx Pavilion laptop and I want to dual boot XP Pro x64 and Home Premium (which I'm going to then upgrade to Ultimate.) I'm also going to leave some unpartitioned space for Windows 7 when I get it.

I have changed the BIOS to boot from CD first and I can not get past a blue screen telling me that Windows has shut down to prevent damage to the computer a few minutes after the XP Pro CD initializes. (The same thing happens with the 32-bit software.) So, I can't get it to install. But, I feel like even if I do get it to install, I will have problems waiting for me around the corner.

I've created three Operating System restore discs to restore the system to factory settings. (The same thing as HP Recovery.) I do not think that it will let me put Home Premium any old place that I want to, even if I do get XP Pro on there--meaning that it will probably overwrite it.

So, I really don't see a way around this. If anyone can help, I'd appreciate it. If this EasyBCD that everyone seems to be talking about would help with this, let me know. :wink:

Parameters: I can not lose the original operating system because it has a lot of entertainment software on it that I won't be able to live without. Also, I will order the discs from HP if anyone thinks that will help--so that is a last resort measure.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Switch drive operation mode in the BIOS to SATA/IDE, not RAID/AHCI. You'll than be able to boot from your XP disc.

Back