current boot.ini causes problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

drumtrucker

this is a 'continuation' I guess of my other recent thread

When I try to boot to XP now I move from dual boot choices (xp,vista) to XP choices:
Windows XP professional
windows default (which used to be 'windows setup' (previous problem))

this is the boot.ini file currently:

[Boot Loader]
Timeout=5
Default=C:\$WIN_NT$.~BT\BOOTSECT.DAT
[Operating Systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /NOEXECUTE=OPTIN /FASTDETECT

I suspect the Default= line is the source of my problem.
Isn't it supposed to be:
Default= (something about ntldr???

:tongueout:oint::booyah::nerd:

Try this:

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect
/NOEXECUTE=OPTIN /FASTDETECT

Hope it helps! :wink:

-Coolname007

how the heck do you even edit boot.ini from Vista??

How the heck did you even access it in the first place to copy it down in your first post??? :lol: Does Vista see the XP partition? If it does, then simply access your XP boot.ini from Vista via "Computer", and copy it over to Vista, where you can make the changes...assuming of course you want a dual boot and are using EasyBCD! :wink:

Cheers! :grinning:

-Coolname007

Last edited:
I was in XP which provides edit access via my computer properties/advanced/startup and recovery, but while in Vista no such luck.

I found some command line info that works in Vista, but a PITA.

The BCD dual boot functions fine, IT IS WHEN I CHOSE XP that i get the PROBLEM which is then I have to chose from 2 XP choices. The good one and the BAD one which is left over from a FAILED reinstall attempt.

I was in XP which provides edit access via my computer properties/advanced/startup and recovery, but while in Vista no such luck.

I found some command line info that works in Vista, but a PITA.

The BCD dual boot functions fine, IT IS WHEN I CHOSE XP that i get the PROBLEM which is then I have to chose from 2 XP choices. The good one and the BAD one which is left over from a FAILED reinstall attempt.

I do believe by replacing what's in your boot.ini file right now with the boot.ini text that i gave in my first post on this thread will solve your problem...:wink: Have you tried it yet?

GL and let me know it goes! :smile:

-Coolname007

Last edited:
i did replace the default line with yours and it eliminated the need to choose an xp version after initial xp or vista (normal) dual boot step.

Now I am back to where I started, with an EXTREMELY slow (and incomplete) boot, that I would like to do an XP reinstall (repair existing) but my SP3 disk image is flawed. I need an ISO of installation CD of XP Professional OEM SP3. Yes I have a legit key.

Last edited:
i did replace the default line with yours and it eliminated the need to choose an xp version after initial xp or vista (normal) dual boot step.

Now I am back to where I started, with an EXTREMELY slow (and incomplete) boot, that I would like to do an XP reinstall (repair existing) but my SP3 disk image is flawed. I need an ISO of installation CD of XP Professional OEM SP3. Yes I have a legit key.

What do you mean by an incomplete boot? :wtf: Are you saying it doesn't complete the startup process? I'm not sure if I understand what you mean...

As for the XP Professional SP3 CD...I will do a little Googling, and try to find what you need. :wink:

Cheers! :smile:

-Coolname007

XP SP3 CD? You can slipstream SP3 into a new CD if you got an older XP CD with tools such as nlite.

Addendum:

[Boot Loader]
Timeout=5
Default=C:\$WIN_NT$.~BT\BOOTSECT.DAT
[Operating Systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /NOEXECUTE=OPTIN /FASTDETECT

Its the default line. I don't know if the uppdercase D has something to do with it, but go ahead and make that lowercase. After the = part of it replace everything else on that line with "multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS".

Last edited:
cooname007, incomplete in this case is it fails to start all the systray items it is supposed to. If i log off and back on, it finishes.

kairozamorro, I have had no luck with slipstreaming and seems to be just as much or more hassle than starting from scratch. The problem I have had with trying to reinstall is since I am currently at SP3, if I use my SP 2 disk to install, it says current system is newer. There are ISOs out there of SP3, but not for OEM version (I build my own computers).

also, not sure what capital D you are refering to? but moot anyway since coolname007 cracked my thick skull and dual boot/then dual XP issue is dead and buried.

cooname007, incomplete in this case is it fails to start all the systray items it is supposed to. If i log off and back on, it finishes.

kairozamorro, I have had no luck with slipstreaming and seems to be just as much or more hassle than starting from scratch. The problem I have had with trying to reinstall is since I am currently at SP3, if I use my SP 2 disk to install, it says current system is newer. There are ISOs out there of SP3, but not for OEM version (I build my own computers).

also, not sure what capital D you are refering to? but moot anyway since coolname007 cracked my thick skull and dual boot/then dual XP issue is dead and buried.

Here's the ISO you're looking for: DELL_XP_PRO_SP3.ISO - Torrent Reactor NET
I found it by Googling "XP Professional SP3 ISO for OEM version"

Comments: Dell oem windows xp pro sp3

This is a dell xp professional iso slipstreamed with sp3. It can be used to install windows on dell machines with the oem sticker and activate without problems. You can also use it to run repair installs on them without loosing all updates prior to sp3.

I will keep it seeded for a long time, but please help and always at least seed to 1:1.
You will need a BitTorrent client in order to download the file, after downloading the torrent.

As for the problem with the system tray icons not loading...that is most likely not related to boot.ini, and is a problem that i would suggest asking about at the Microsoft forums, instead of here (not to say that someone here might not be able to help...its just that i can't).

GL and let me know how it goes! :wink:

-Coolname007

Last edited:
OK, I am not sure that is what I need. When I build my boxes I go to Fry's electronics and buy what MS calls an OEM version of windows which I qualify for because I am building a computer. Is this the same thing, or a Dell specific OEM version?

The OEM version of the Vista DVD differs in only two ways from a full retail Version.
1 It's either x86 or x64, but not both like the retail.
2 The serial number tells the validation process that the OS is tied to the hardware it was initially installed on
A full retail version can be reinstalled on a different PC provided the original system is no longer in use. The OEM serial number prevents the validation process from allowing a reinstall on a different PC.

The actual software on the DVD is identical, and anything you can do to/with one you can also do to/with the other.

If you used your OEM Vista Basic DVD to install Vista Ultimate on someone else's PC, it would work perfectly well provided you use their legitimate VIsta Ultimate serial number, not your OEM serial.

the OEM versions i have had/used could be installed on different machines (one at a time of course re activation), but the key must be different for retail and OEM because when i tried a while back to use a retail CD image, the key was invalid.

OK, I am not sure that is what I need. When I build my boxes I go to Fry's electronics and buy what MS calls an OEM version of windows which I qualify for because I am building a computer. Is this the same thing, or a Dell specific OEM version?

Sorry. Perhaps I posted a little too hastily...try the one from http://isohunt.com/torrent_details/34850411/windows+xp?tab=comments instead. Just make sure to read all the comments first! :wink:

Hope I helped! :smile:

-Coolname007

Addendum:

The OEM version of the Vista DVD differs in only two ways from a full retail Version.

Not trying to be rude or anything, but i believe he said he needed the OEM version of XP... :wink:

Cheers! :smile:

-Coolname008 (<wait...i believe it was supposed to be 7!:lol:smile:

Last edited:
Sorry ! not reading carefully enough.
In that case remove difference number 1
The only difference between an OEM XP, and an upgrade or a full retail is the serial number on the box.
The serial number tells setup what version to install, whether it needs a qualifying pre-existing OS, and whether it's going to be tied to the hardware fore life.
The actual software on the CD is the same in every case.
(Thats MS CDs of course. The OEM might provide you with a home-made customized version)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back