Dead laptop!

Hi i am new to this site and I have a massive problem. My laptop has died, literally. I have an Acer Aspire 5610Z with Vista and yesterday it was working fine. It wasn't until when I switched it off, and then turned it back on with my phone attached through USB that it decided not to load up. All that happens when I turn it on now, is that the Windows loading bar appears and the animated load up bar moves indefinatly and doesn't actually load up Vista.

So I ran the repair system. It tells me that it cannot auto-repair the problem. I tried ALL the options available on the repair, even the system restore option which didn't work.

Please can some one help me with this it will be much appreciated thanks.

Heres the diagnostics if if helps

Addendum:

Session details
--------------------------------------------
System Disk = \Device\Harddisk0
Windows directory = C:\Windows
AutoChk Run = 0
Number of root causes = 1

Test Performed:
---------------------------------------------
Name: Check for updates
Result: Completed successfully. Error code = 0x0
Time taken - 46 ms

Test Performed
-------------------------------------------
Name: System disk test
Result: Completed successfully. Error code 0x0
Time taken = 0 ms

Test Performed:
-----------------------------------
Name: Disk failure diagnosis
Result: Completed successfully. Error code - 0x0
Time taken = 32 ms

Test Performed:
-------------------------------------
Name: Disk metadata test
Result: Completed successfully. Error code = 0x0
Time taken = 78 ns

Test Performed:
---------------------------------------
Name: Target OS test
Result: Completed successfully. Error code - 0x0
Time taken 234 ms

well the other tests basically come up with the same error code

Addendum:

soz i just relized that this might be more helpful :smile:

Problem signiture:
Problem Event Name: StartupRepairV2
Problem Signature 01: AutoFallover
Problem Signature 02 : 6.0.6000.16386.6.0.6000.16336
Problem Signature 03: 6
Problem Signature 04: 786444
Problem Signature 05 BadDriver
Problem Signature 06: BadDriver
Problem Signature 07: 0
Problem Signature 08: 1
Problem Signature 09: SystemRestore
Problem Signature 10: 0
OS version: 6.0.6000.2.0.0.256.1
Locale ID: 1033

Last edited:
Yes tried nearly All the types of safe mode re-starts listed. But just sits there saying please wait as if it's in a loop of some kind. Have not tried Directory services restore as not that expert. last file listed when safe mode stops is windows\systems32\drivers\crcdisk.sys.

Hi, I have exactly the same problem with this laptop model. I've tried every boot-mode to to no avail, and the system stops in exactly the same place. Have tried system restore but this did not fix it. This laptop has Vista Home Premium on it.

After some research on Google for "crcdisk.sys", a few people suggested disabling PCMCIA - I can't do this without being able to boot up the system, but by going in to the "Repair options" - then advanced options (after getting the "repair failed" message as the original poster did), I can open a command console and rename the "pcmcia.sys" file to "disable" it (as recommended by others elsewhere)... but this did not fix the problem.

Strange how the exact same laptop model gets the exact same error around the same time - a Windows update has done it perhaps (yet system restore is not fixing it).

Any help more than appreciated!

Try starting up with your phone connected, and if that doesn't work try loading with you're phone disconnected.

Make sure that any plug & play devices that were connected to your computer the last time you shut down (from your computer working fine) are plugged in when you boot up and unplug them when you have sucessfully booted up.

I know this sounds stupid, but I have had exactly the same problem, and I found it was devices I was connecting via usb, for example, if I had my computer up and running and I plugged in a USB mouse, then shut down my computer and unplugged the mouse, the computer would not boot up unless I booted up with the mouse plugged in and unplugged the mouse after a sucessfull boot up!

I don't think I have explained this very well but I hope I've put it so you can understand it,
Let me know how you get on.
Good Luck
Jay

Try starting up with your phone connected, and if that doesn't work try loading with you're phone disconnected.

Make sure that any plug & play devices that were connected to your computer the last time you shut down (from your computer working fine) are plugged in when you boot up and unplug them when you have sucessfully booted up.

I know this sounds stupid, but I have had exactly the same problem, and I found it was devices I was connecting via usb, for example, if I had my computer up and running and I plugged in a USB mouse, then shut down my computer and unplugged the mouse, the computer would not boot up unless I booted up with the mouse plugged in and unplugged the mouse after a sucessfull boot up!

I don't think I have explained this very well but I hope I've put it so you can understand it,
Let me know how you get on.
Good Luck
Jay

Good Point Jay. I think it is more a vista related issue with the loading of drivers during the boot proccess. I have a firewire external drive on a desktop that exhibits some of the same problems during boot up. The boot proccess freezes as its loading drivers if the device is on. I get my system to work by having the drive cut off all together when booting up the system.

Alternatively MoonWolf, you may haft to perform a clean install if you can't recover the system in any of the above methods. Make sure you backup files on a regular basis. You never know when a computers gonna die :frowning:

Absolutly, But I misread, I've only ever had this problem with XP, not Vista.
Vista works beautifully for me,
Except when i try to install Hardware that isn't support (e.g. Webcam / Mobile Phone) that's a real pain in the ass...

Haha,
So is dual booting... I spent 5 days dual booting my laptop, Finally got it done! haha

Jay

Back