Decisions (on laptops)

Kahai

Distinguished Member
decisions lol

Instead of a desktop, i have choose to get a new laptop. I had orginally wanted a Asus G50VT-X3 from newegg. but i have recently been introduced to Sager manufacture, and http://www.powernotebooks.com

So for my budget of 1800 (i have a small amount of debt lol) for a laptop, i could get this asus: Newegg.com - ASUS G Series G50VT-X3 NoteBook Intel Core 2 Duo T9400 4GB Memory 320GB HDD 7200rpm BD Combo NVIDIA GeForce 9800M GS - Laptops / Notebooks or this Sager: Sager NP5793 - Gaming Laptop

The Asus would have an addition 2 year warrenty coverage for 250.

While the Sager would have much much more:

Sager NP5793 - Gaming Laptop
Display: 17" WUXGA (1920 x 1200) "MATTE" LCD
Choose your Color: Orange Trim
Modular Video Card: nVIDIA GeForce 9800M GTS w/1GB GDDR3
Processor: IntelR CoreT2 Duo T9300 2.5GHz Processor w/6MB L2 On-die
cache - 800MHz FSB
Arctic Silver 5: Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound
System Memory: 4GB (2 SODIMMS) DDR2/667 Dual Channel Memory
IntelR Turbo Memory 2.0 (Robson): 4GB IntelR Turbo Memory 2.0 - (Vista
Only)
Hard Drive: 250GB SATA II 3Gb/s 7,400 RPM (32mb cache)Hard Drive
CD/DVD Read/Writer: Blu-Ray Read - DVD-CD R-RW
Memory Card Reader: 7-in-1 Memory Card Reader (All versions of MS + SD/MMC)
Wireless Networking: Built-in IntelR PRO/Wireless 5100 802.11a/g/n
Bluetooth: Built-in Bluetooth Wireless
Battery: 8-cell Smart Li-ion Battery
AC Adapter: Full Range Auto Switching AC Adapter
Carrying Case: Standard Carrying Case
Carrying Case upgrades: Eagle 17" convertible backpack
Sager Limited Warranties: 3-Year Parts & Labor, Lifetime Sager Toll Free
Support

for the nearly the same price of the Asus.

i am leaning toward the Sager, has anyone heard of them before?

Nope, but that doesn't mean it's a bad device, of course.

Personally, I wouldn't get from a company I didn't hear of before just because it's such an investment... but ask around look for reviews and see what you find.

there seem to be alot of great reviews for this machine (and my friend got this first laptop from powernotebook.com so i trust the site)

it beats out the Asus hands down 9800m GTS (1gb gddr3) beats 9800m GS (512mb gddr3),

t9400 from the asus is slightly faster (at 2.53) where the sager is a t9300 at 2.5 (which may actually be the same)

full HD 1920x1200 over the Asus' 1680x1050.

The Sager comes with the Intel turbo memory 2.0, so thats amazing alone!

Asus has a slightly larger 320Gb HD at 7200, where the sager is at 250 at 7200.

both come with blu-ray dvd, both have wireless and blue-tooth, both have gigebit rj45, both have 4gb ddr2.

both come with a carrying case but the asus comes with a mouse (not a problem really)

i am liking this sager, and i love all the positive reviews ^___^

Do you watch "The Big Bang Theory" ?
The geeks are hardcore gamers and all use Dell XPS laptops.
Very cool-looking neons on the cover. How do they compare spec-wise ?

i dont watch TV terry :tongueout:

hehe

and im no fan of Dell's... :frowning:

but ill look at what i can get for $1800

Addendum:

i dont think its possible to get want i can from sager for the same price at dell, the price tag is already double. so no on XPS.

Last edited:
Yeah the systems alone are 1000+ for Dells it seems. By the time you get the software/hardware combination you really want its 2k+. Dell used to have an XPS laptop I had really wanted... starting price? Oh, 2,300 or so :frowning:

Yeah the systems alone are 1000+ for Dells it seems. By the time you get the software/hardware combination you really want its 2k+. Dell used to have an XPS laptop I had really wanted... starting price? Oh, 2,300 or so :frowning:

Well, sometimes they got some good deals, Justin...:wink: This Dell Studio 1535 laptop, for instance, that I'm using to type up this post cost me about $920. Not a bad deal at all, especially seeing as it came with a bunch of cool features. :brows: 320 GB hard drive, 4 GBs of RAM, fingerprint reader, webcam...I could go on and on. And it technically cost me even less, since I managed to sell my old laptop for $350, I believe, so that took a big whack out of the overall cost as well. :grinning:

yeah i got mine for a little less than $900, but that's because I already had all the software for it and didn't up the hardware that much since its main purpose is for work.

Insprion 1525

Figured it was an Inspiron... :wink: I think those are considered the lowest-end models, with XPS models at the top, and the Studio breed somewhere in the middle. I doubt you could find a Studio for less than $900 (unless of course they lowered the prices since I last checked, which is actually quite possible, and likely, now that they made me pay $920 for mine...:brows:smile:.

My laptop happens to run faster than my brother's XPS desktop. Its just a product line. What matters is what you put into it and what you use it for.

True enough. I actually decided what was to go into mine. It wasn't 4 GBs of memory by default...if I remember correctly, it was only 3. I had the extra gig added to the factory build, along with a few other things that I had made custom. All the more reason, though, why the price I posted above was a good deal...

Dell is brand name, and they dont actually make ANY of the laptops they sell: TuxMobil: Laptop and NoteBook Manufacturer - OEM/ODM Relation Matrix

ODM's are the OEM companies, and dell is than made to look like they are the OEM, but they are just a brander.

I am choosing a none name brand Laptop for a few reasons (although Asus also mgfr their own laptops)

ODM recognition: Sager does not say they are the OEM of their laptops, the one i want is produced by Clevo.

Customization: because Sager is a customizor and not a mfgr you can get things in the laptop differently from different customizor companies, with the same shell (although the Hardware cant be very different from the ODMs design.)

competition: Sager is not a name known to the wide range of comsumers, and i like that, they are something different, and they offer much better for much less <3

---

The complete specs of what i want from my future Sager Machine:

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, Sans-serif]Dual-Core Intel® Core™2 Duo Processor T9300 (2.5GHz), - 800MHz FSB [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, Sans-serif]
17" WUXGA (1920x1200) Glossy Widescreen LCD w/nVIDIA GeForce 9800M GTS w/1GB
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, Sans-serif]250GB 7,200RPM SATA II 3Gb/s Hard Drive [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, Sans-serif]4GB DDR2/667 Memory (Dual Channel)
[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, Sans-serif]Blu-Ray (Panasonic UJ-220) BD-DVD-CD R-RW Drive[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, Sans-serif]4GB Intel® Turbo Memory 2.0
[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, Sans-serif]8 Cell Battery for about 2-2.5 Hours Battery Life
[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, Sans-serif]Integrated 1.3 Megapixel Digital Video Camera
[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, Sans-serif]Built-in 7 in 1 Card Reader(MS/MS PRO/MS DUO/SD/Mini-SD/MMC/RSMMC)
[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, Sans-serif]8.35 lb.- 15.6” x 11.5” x 1” ~ 1.8”
[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, Sans-serif]Built-in 56k V.90/V.92 Modem RJ-11
[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, Sans-serif]10/100/1000BaseT Ethernet RJ-45
[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, Sans-serif]Intel Wireless WiFi Link 5300AGN w/Hardware Switch
[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, Sans-serif]Built-in Bluetooth V2.0+EDR
[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, Sans-serif]Built in Biometric Fingerprint Reader[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, Sans-serif]4 USB 2.0 Ports
[/FONT]No OS

Plus a carrying case, and a 3 year parts and labor warrenty.

all for 1800 (nearly even too)

Wow that laptop looks heavy (weight), but hey, if its a desktop replacement I guess its worth it. That blue-ray drive BD-R or BD-RW?

it weights something around 9 pounds lol

which is fine by me

im just glad to read that Clevo (the ODM for alot of the Sager machines, including this one) also makes alot of alienware laptops lol but i am getting this thing at much less than some one else would be selling ^__^

may the truth be known!

Gamer Xtreme M1

and the

Customize Your M17 Extreme Gaming Notebook – Alienware

What is the difference?

When both Laptops are fully decked out, with dual GPU's, quad core, and (sadly single drive config) identical Hard drives, Both with Blu-ray, and both with nearly 100% identical hardware. Both with vista ultimate 64-bit.

The AW is priced at $3,673.00

While the Identical OCZ Barebones from CyberpowerPC is priced at
$2965.00

Thats a $708 dollar difference!!!

ZOMFG! Thats the truth!

oh yes, many many buyers beware lol

---

oh another note. My laptop has began its shipping ^__^ YAY! hehe

so it should be here on wednesday, i cant wait! i think i might skip class that day lol

Back