Deleting account on vBulletin forum

Sarge

Distinguished Member
Someone please teach me how can I delete my account on vBulletin forums (not this forum :smile:, but some other one).

I couldn't find anything about it in FAQ.

It cant be done via the UserCP. It can only be done by the Administration. It is something that is to be done via the ACP.

Which means, go and bother admins and mods who never come online on that forsaken forum.>.<. Damn.

Oh, even better. That's just great. :x

I loved vBulletin before this, but now I officially hate it.

Check the admin's profile to see if an e-mail's available. If not do a lookup on the domain to get a telephone number/e-mail address. Really, why even worry about it? It isn't like anyone else is going to be logging in. I'm sure the account if inactive long enough may be deleted if they've got the policies in place to do it or they upgrade and delete inactive accounts in the proccess. I think its a good thing really. Don't want spammers showing up, posting the boatload of junk as they please, and deleting their accounts.

Why do I worry, I don't worry much, but... because someone was stupid enough to use that name for registering on a bunch of indexed forums, now, if you type that name in google for example, next to a company under that name, you'll get a bunch of website profiles, and I gotta clean that up. That's my problem. But thanks, I'll try everything.

Last edited:
It isnt vB that does this. It is a option within the ACP for even forums that use IPB (Invision Power Board), phpBB and so on. I have seen it before on just about every ACP i have been in. There is the option to allow members to delete their profile there, it is just turned off by default. That is not the forum software's fault but the site operators. :wink:

That was very informative, Mak, I've just lost my hope for getting this done within a day or 2. Gonna take days, hopefully not months to remove myself from a few databases. :smile:

Sorry to be the bearer of bad new on that one Sarge. But i have worked with IPB, vB, phpBB, SMF among many more. All of them are setup basically the same way. Very few actually have it turned on where members can delete their own profile. This is in place cause of what you see just on this page.

If you were to delete your account, then any thread in which you have participated in will then be missing your posts. Which will then cause the DB to get all messed up cause it will look like people are posting with alter egos and that.

So most places pay attention to this setting so that they dont allow people to delete their accounts. Some places dont even delete it period. They will ban you, ban your IP, change your password and possibly even change the username but will not delete it from the DB for the reason above.

Lol, yeah, that is annoying. :smile: I've had that same problem before too.
Of course I contacted the admin, asking him to delete my account, but he refused to! So what are you supposed to do about that?!! :brows: Oh well...I think I learned the lesson. Don't use the same username on every site.

That one i can understand. I am on a fairly large site and we dont delete accounts there either. But we give the option to delete all posts and change the user name if necessary. There has only been 1 time where i actually deleted a account even against the wishes of the owner. But for those that give flak about deleting, ask that they change your user name.

That one i can understand. I am on a fairly large site and we dont delete accounts there either. But we give the option to delete all posts and change the user name if necessary. There has only been 1 time where i actually deleted a account even against the wishes of the owner. But for those that give flak about deleting, ask that they change your user name.
Well, with these particular forums, I did ask the admin to change my username after he refused to delete my account. But he refused to do that too! :brows: His reasons were the posts I had made, and which people responded to, were directed at "Coolname007", so if he changed the username, it would make it seem as if people were confused or something. hahaha. And yeah, I can understand that too...but its just annoying, as I really wanted one or the other done, and he refused to do both.

Well that is just a Admin that is to stubborn. I mean really it isnt hard to change the name, so what if others quoted your posts or directed something at someone that isnt listed. It isnt the end of the world...

Back