Dell Insprion 1720 w/Vista Freezing - EasyBCD Help?

chipgallo

Hello, I am an IT support person from Harpers Ferry, WV USA. I live in a rural mountain community and travel to Washington, DC to work. In my spare time I shoot and edit video, walk our 3 dogs and piddle with computers. If I could enable my signature here, it would say that I have an iMac with Final Cut Pro X, Windows 7/XP dual boot for media editing, a netbook/Win 7 for casual browsing, and other toys like Andoid and a PowerBook.

What brought me here? A Dell Inspiron 1720 running Vista, that suffers from freezing within a minute or so after boot up. The cursor moves but nothing else works and it requires a shutdown with the power button. An F8 safe boot works fine and doesn't freeze. Will the EasyBCD software help resolve this? I am working on this for a nice local lady who probably doesn't want me to replace her hard drive and upgrade to Win 7 right now ...

Last edited:
Welcome to the group. I moved this to EasyBCD as you are asking about it. Hopefully someone with knowledge will answer soon.

Chip, the signature field is disabled to new users after being heavily spammed by SEOs who attempt to steal others' bandwidth for their commercial gain.
If you become a regular contributor, it will be unlocked eventually.
It doesn't sound like EasyBCD can help with your Dell problem. It's only to help you manage a multi-boot and anything done with it has no effect after the bootmgr process (stage 2 below)

1.After pressing the power button, the PC’s firmware initiates a Power-On Self Test (POST) and loads firmware settings. This pre-boot process ends when a valid system disk is detected.
2.Firmware reads the master boot record (MBR), and then starts Bootmgr.exe. Bootmgr.exe finds and starts the Windows loader (Winload.exe) on the Windows boot partition.
3.Essential drivers required to start the Windows kernel are loaded and the kernel starts to run, loading into memory the system registry hive and additional drivers that are marked as BOOT_START.
4.The kernel passes control to the session manager process (Smss.exe) which initializes the system session, and loads and starts the devices and drivers that are not marked BOOT_START.
5.Winlogon.exe starts, the user logon screen appears, the service control manager starts services, and any Group Policy scripts are run. When the user logs in, Windows creates a session for that user.
6.Explorer.exe starts, the system creates the desktop window manager (DWM) process, which initializes the desktop and displays it.

If you are getting to the Vista animated green bars you've reached stage 3

If you can boot in safe mode then everything in 1 and 2 is fine and whatever is hanging up later is probably one of the drivers which safe mode skips.
Check the event log history for evidence of what is bombing Vista at that point in the boot.

Back